Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Dakota with a 4.7L, 4WD. I had a friend of mine hook it to an actual computer to diagnose it. It had power drop from 1600-1700 down to 400-500 in the reading on cylinder 6. No others have issues. I have replaced the coil pack twice and spark plug twice. Im 99.9% sure it's still an electrical issue though. It Has compression. Either the ECU or engine wiring harness. Can any one give me any other ideas that we can't think of?

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
1,050 Posts
I guess I don't really understand what you mean by 'an actual computer', or what the units are for 1600-1700 and 400-500. And what power were you measuring?

One other question: How much compression? What is the compression on the other 7 cylinders? Remove a spark plug and put your finger in the hole, and you will feel compression even if it is only 20 psi, unless the valves are completely failed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I don't really understand what you mean by 'an actual computer', or what the units are for 1600-1700 and 400-500. And what power were you measuring?

One other question: How much compression? What is the compression on the other 7 cylinders? Remove a spark plug and put your finger in the hole, and you will feel compression even if it is only 20 psi, unless the valves are completely failed.
So i dont understand the electrical part. Just isnt maintaining enough juice if that makes sense.
and all 8 cylinders have good compression. It's just the low voltage that's the issue

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
1,050 Posts
Until you can provide a little more information, I can't really help you. I'm guessing your friend was using some type of scope and was measuring primary or secondary voltage to the coils/plugs. But with coil on plug, it's very hard to get secondary voltage without an adapter, and neither primary nor secondary voltage fits with the numbers you gave. Please try to get a little more detail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts