Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Brand new to this forum and looking for some advice. I just purchased a 2003 Dakota Quad cab 4wd for a VERY reasonable price. I was very happy for the first 100km, then found out why I got it so cheap. The engine intermittantly will die out, usually after turning a corner, although not always. The engine continues to run, but when I put my foot into it to accelerate, it just bogs and slows down. I found that if I put my foot all the way to the floor, it will take off again, but then does it again next time I lay off the gas. Sometimes I can go for a long drive and it will run fine, other times this happens several times on a short trip. I'm new to fuel injection, but am thinking maybe TPS?? Anybody had a similar fault? Any advice I can get would be great. Thanks for reading!!:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have the same problem

hey,
i have the the same problem as u but my truck is a 1997, between the two truck they have the same engine in them.
I'ved tryed replaceing the TPS and it got a bit better but still continues to do the same thing, but now it bringing up a DTC, P0123 TPS Circuit high
i have a threary that it could be the idle air control is not workong right when cold it stalls out, when the engine is hot it run fine, so im guessing the idle air control valve needs to be replaced
i hope it helps u on fixing ur truck :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info bud. My truck seems to be ok when it's cold, the only times it's died out is when the engine is warm. If the new TPS helped yours out, maybe I'll try that first, since the sensor is only about $50, and super easy to replace. The problem still hasn't generated any codes yet, if it does I'll be sure to post here. Let me know if changing your idle air control valve fixes it. Anyone else have this problem and find the cure?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
first off, welcome to both of you! glad to have you with us

hopefully the suggestions here will help you and if not, let us know. we have a resident tech guy here that can help out if needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all! I'm new to the forum as well. I signed up about a month ago but as of yet had the time to brows around. I can't believe that I found someone or multiple people with similar issues. I have a 98' that also runs ok when it is cold. The idle flucuates, but will sputter out of the blue and sometimes just die at the most inconvenient times. If I keep my truck reved up above 2000 rpm, this will generally keep me from stauling out. Not 100% garaunteed though. I had to change my alternator recently and since I cleared everything with the battery being disconnected I had to wait for the check engine light to come back on. It finally did yesterday and going to use a friends OBD II code checker today. I was able to have a code pulled by the autoshop class at the college where I work and it came up as the ignition coil. Switched that out being only a $33.00 part, but the problem still exists. So I'll post my codes later today when I get them. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Anyone cleaned their throttle bodies and IAC motors yet?
i bought a can of carb/throttle body cleaner, the kind you can spray. i was going to take it off and thoroughly clean it but im gonna wait for my new intake to do that

but it seemed to work ok, i mean it cleaned the butterfly valve, but it does need a good scrubbing

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey i have a similar problem with my truck it runs fine when its cold but when it starts to warm up and the temp is about 130-150 it starts to misfire and hesitate and will not keep an idle and its not throwing any codes. i have replaced the catalatic converter, the down stream o2 sensor, iac valve, spark plugs cap rotor and wires and the ignition coil and it still does it i thought it might be the tps or the map sensor but i have not tried replacing those as of yet and i have talk to other people and they said it could be the camshaft sensor or the crank sensor possibly a cracked fly wheel or maybe even an ecmi just bought this truck and i really dont want to have to put an extreme amount of money in to it. i know it has nothing to do with the fuel because it would do it no matter what warm or cold any ideas? thanx

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had similar problems with my 4.7. It would start and run fine until it warmed up then it would die if I kept the throttle up it ran fine, when it died it started right back up no codes. It was the battery I changed the battery it has ran fine ever since. My father in-law has a Ram 2500 w/ the 5.7 hemi his started doing the same thing I put a battery on it and fixed it now he thinks I can fix everything, haha.

·
Registered
250 Posts
hey i have a similar problem with my truck it runs fine when its cold but when it starts to warm up and the temp is about 130-150 it starts to misfire and hesitate and will not keep an idle and its not throwing any codes. i have replaced the catalatic converter, the down stream o2 sensor, iac valve, spark plugs cap rotor and wires and the ignition coil and it still does it i thought it might be the tps or the map sensor but i have not tried replacing those as of yet and i have talk to other people and they said it could be the camshaft sensor or the crank sensor possibly a cracked fly wheel or maybe even an ecmi just bought this truck and i really dont want to have to put an extreme amount of money in to it. i know it has nothing to do with the fuel because it would do it no matter what warm or cold any ideas? thanx

This is one of those situation where it pays to have a professional diagnosis. Being that it's temp related, I would scope teh CKP sensor and look for droputs in the signal and then move on to the MAP and TPS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Still having the same issue, not getting the code checked until Tuesday now. Id go buy one myself, but they are pricey and hopefully not something that I'd use regularly. I can get around an engine ok, especially with a little direction and a starting point, but forgive me for my lack of mechanical terms.......what is an IAC motor? I'll probably kick myself when I find out!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
A code scanner wont scope the sensors or catch dropouts and glitches. IAC is the idle air control motor in the throttle body.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have a 97 dakota it was stalling and back firing after about 15 to 20 minutes of running so i changed the cam and crank sensor still the same problem so i changed the low coolant sensor and its been running great for two days now wont hurt to try it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts