Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1993 dakota regular cab floorboard and carpet on driver and passenger sides are soaked after it rains. Really need help because the last two dakotas before this were the same way. They were a 1994 and 1988 dakota. Constantly vaccuming out water is getting annoying and shops and garages can't even find a leak. Please help!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just posted this the other day in another thread:
Had the same problem, also because of pine needles. Affected both sides. There are channels for rainwater to go, right up by the firewall, outside the truck. They get plugged up, and water won't drain down the back of the wheelwell. The water rises, and it goes up and over the firewall somehow, and runs down the back. I went crazy trying to seal up the leaks. The best way to clean these is with a straightened out coathanger, and push them through the bottom. The are just under and behind where the hood hinge is. It helps to remove the cowl to find them, but once you know where they are, it's not necessary. Just ramrod the wire gently, and you'll see debris come out where the wheelwell is, on the cab side of the wheel. Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have similar leak but...

I cleaned out the debris as described (thanks MartyG!!). I got a lot out so I was hopeful that problem was solved... but I still have major water coming in the passenger side. It drips right down from under the dash onto the floor below:mad: is there anything else? I am thinking windshield seal leak? Maybe I cleared out the wrong hole? Can someone post a picture?
Thanks!

·
Registered
414 Posts
You can try to take what Marty suggested one step further. Once you have tried to clear the drains with a rod or coat hanger, use a garden hose and try flushing out the well under the cowl area. Water should flow out the bottom as fast as it pours in from the top. Check the floor for water. If water is present and the water wasn't backing up, you may have some rust holes somewhere in the firewall or the caulking between joints in the firewall is dried out and cracked. You'll have to locate this and make repairs. If the floor is dry, the leak could be elsewhere. Take the garden hose and water down the top of the windshield. Let it flow for some time and check the floors for signs of water. If the interior is getting wet, you may have a leak in the windshield gasket. You'll need to have the windshield pulled out and revealed. While its out inspect the pinch weld under the windshield for rust and repair it before setting the windshield back in. What ever you do, don't use a silicone based sealer. Silicone actually promotes rust. If you don't see water after hosing the windshield, try moving the hose over the doors. Sometimes water gets in at the door gasket and flows down to the floor that way. If you do spot the water again, you may have to climb under the dash with a flash light and see if you can track where the water is flowing in. The usual suspects for this kind of problem is a backed up drain, in the well where the windshield wiper assembly is located, or a leaking windshield.

Ed

·
Registered
32 Posts
Problem solved

:)
Well friends, I finally got the problem fixed. It turns out I had a windshield seal leak. They pulled the windshield to repair the seal... Broke the windshield in the process. Got a new windshield and seals too! Rained like heck today and no leak.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Premature elation

I was a bit premature on the celebration. This morning there was water in the passenger foot area. Not nearly as much but a small puddle had developed with the overnight rains. Back to the drawing board. :mad:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Water leak repair; take 2

OK... I pulled the panel that sits between the windshield and the hood. I also pulled the plastic part that sits beneath it. The seals were all dry rotted and completely useless. I have attached pictures for reference. I removed the old seals and used some closed cell foam weatherstrip tape that I had-no way I could find the original seals!
It is raining now, let's see how this repair fares!

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Another picture

It seems I can post only one picture at a time (if there is a way, I don't know how to attach multiple).Here is another that shows where the seal on the plastic piece is and what the old seal looked like.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Update on this.... No water at all after a downpour all day the other day!:)
Dare I declare the problem fixed? I can only hope the dakota gods allow it to reman dry!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Barrycyr, Did you fix your leak? I, too, had puddles keep coming in on the passenger side floor last year. However, mine turned out to be a major headache.
My floor/front wall rusted out in a big section. It was only visible after pulling back the carpet (inside) and removing the wheel well plastic shield (outside). The fix turned out to be an epic project, but if you want more details, let me know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts