Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new to posting here. I have a 2002 Dakota Club Cab 4x4 3.9 5-speed. I'm trying to drop the transmission to replace the clutch and I'm kind of stuck. My question is, do you need to remove the front differential first in order to drop the transmission? There is a bracket between the front diff and the transmission, and the bolt going through that into the transmission is absolutely inaccessible by any tool I'm aware of. I'm pretty sure it's a 16mm, but if you get a box wrench or s-wrench or offset wrench on it you can't turn the wrench because of the shape of the bracket. And you can't use a socket wrench because the body of the differential is in the way. I've searched and searched and I haven't seen anyone have this exact problem, and the service manual really doesn't seem to mention it at all. The service manual just says that you have to get the dust shield on the transmission off, but I can't do that until I can get this bolt removed. I can see that, without the diff in the way, I could get a straight shot to the bolt with a short extension and just power it out with the air gun, but pulling the entire front end just to get to this bolt, it seems like an awful lot. Anyone done this and got a tip to make this work? Thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts