Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I plan on removing my muffler on my 04 dodge dakota and I wasint sure what to put on the end of the pipe since there will be no muffer?

1. Should I just leave it exiting right under the truck? I have heard its unsafe

2.OR Should I do a side exit and put a 45 degree tail pipe on the open end and have it exit before the rear tire.

3. If I go with option #2 what size piping should I get? Iv heard the the Outside diameter is of the stock piping is 2.5 so should I just get a pipe with a 2.25 outside diameter slide it inside: and clamp it on?

Thanks!
:)

·
Registered
449 Posts
You can run without a muffler. In fact you really don't need a muffler because there is a catalytic converter on the exhaust and it does a pretty good job of muffling the exhaust by itself. I ran my Dak for years without a muffler and it sounded great, with just the cat.

1) It isn't a good idea to allow the exhaust to dump out directly under the truck. You should have the exhaust exit as far away from the cab as possible. Some of that exhaust can creep into the cab and then everyone in the cab could be exposed to carbon monoxide and poisoned.

2) Running it out the side is a safer bet so long as the exhaust tip is several feet from the cab, better if the tip is in the air stream.

3" diameter tube is good

Ed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can run without a muffler. In fact you really don't need a muffler because there is a catalytic converter on the exhaust and it does a pretty good job of muffling the exhaust by itself. I ran my Dak for years without a muffler and it sounded great, with just the cat.

1) It isn't a good idea to allow the exhaust to dump out directly under the truck. You should have the exhaust exit as far away from the cab as possible. Some of that exhaust can creep into the cab and then everyone in the cab could be exposed to carbon monoxide and poisoned.

2) Running it out the side is a safer bet so long as the exhaust tip is several feet from the cab, better if the tip is in the air stream.

3" diameter tube is good

Ed
Ok Thanks, but wont a 3in diamter tube be way to big to just clamp onto a 2.5in tube??

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are wanting a 3" exhaust tip and you have 2.5" exhaust what you need is a 2.5" ID to 3" OD adapter, you can find them at advance auto for about 4 or 5 bucks. You will also need a 2.5" Band clamp (or muffler clamps - U-bolt style) and a 3" one as well. the 2.5 to 3 inch adapter will slide over your existing 2.5" OD exhaust (the 2.5" you currently have running from the front toward the back). On the other end of the adapter it will slide into the 3" Tip you choose to use. You put the clamp right as close to the seams as you can on both joints and you'll be good to go. Total cost to do this shouldn't be over $10 - 15 (really depends on what kind of 3" tip you go with) Also some tips don't require clamps or welding they are known as 'slip-on tips' they just have a couple bolts that tighten down to hold them onto the end of the tailpipe.

Like RXT mentioned run it as far toward the back as you can. It's ok to keep it underneath the truck, but also you probably want it away from the fuel tank as well. And if you go over/under your rear axle be sure you hang it high enough for bumpy roads, you don't want it hitting any of your drivetrain / chassis.

When you get everything bolted together, if you have it good you won't notice any whistle type sound to it, and won't see any dripping water from the tip or any joints. If you have a small exhaust leak you will get water vapor build up in the joints and it will drip from the exit also. (This isn't the same kind of drip as when you are warming one up in cold weather and the moisture in the air collects - exhaust leak causing water will do it pretty much all the time when its running)

Good Luck :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts