Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Dakota that I recently purchased knowing it had a few issues. It has the following codes p0499, p0031, p0037, p0051, p0057 and also has the air bag light on. The guy I bought it from told me the oxygens sensors were out and the airbag light was due to the recall. SO obviously 4 of the 5 codes are O2 sensor related, all having to do with the heater circuit. So my question is is it more likely that all 4 heaters are out as well as the purge valve, or is it more likely the PCM is hosed? Is there a quick check that can be done to verify the O2 heater is actually out? How about the purge solenoid? I went to autozone and dropped $25 for a Haynes manual to have it tell me "diagnosis of the NVLD system is beyond the scope of the home mechanic. ...have a dealer service the vehicle" so any help on testing either of these before changing them is appreciated. I'm assuming the O2 sensors should have a resistance range for the heaters to fall in as well as the solenoid. And lastly is it possible to get a used PCM and have someone flash if for the vehicle?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Ditch that Haynes manual

For not much more, you can get a disc with the factory service manual from Bishko Books ( http://www.autobooksbishko.com/ )

Purge solenoid should be DIY capable; if you can unplug one of the O2s and get the heater voltage back, it may be one bad O2 dragging down all the others. I'd start unplugging all of them and measuring the voltage across the heater wires; then connect them back up one at a time and seeing when the voltage drops off.

RwP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mhorning

I failed to mention the vehicle has a very low volume tone that is more or less constant. It sounds like the seat belt buzzer, only much lower. I am in the process of changing the O2 sensors. Have 3 of 4 changed and the symptoms haven't changed, so I am hoping the last one is shorted and pulling the voltage down. It is a bit of a pain to get to (passenger side upstream). I also replaced the gas cap, hoping that was the cause of the purge error code to no avail. All of the vacuum lines appear to be ok.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts