Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i tried looking it up but i can find anything and everyone ik is saying different things, i just got my dakota and it needs a cam shaft position sensor but can fine where the old one is. so i cant swap them out. my friend said it could be on the inside of the trans but my other friend said it was behind the motor. can you help me out plzzz..........it is my first vechicle.:(

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
It moves from year to year and specifically from motor to motor.

But.

"my friend said it could be on the inside of the trans"

Your friend, that one at least, should not be trusted with anything more complicated than a screwdriver.

NO camshaft position sensor is inside a transmission! EVER.

But knowing what year and which motor will help tremendously.

(That's possibly why you're getting confused - it varied from motor to motor, and some Dakotas don't even HAVE one!)

RwP

·
Registered
43 Posts
Like Ralph said: really need to know which engine is in it & what year it is. On my '03 with 5.9, for example, it is located inside the distributor cap.
Might be helpful for you if you bought a book that pertains to your Dakota. If not a FSM, at least a Chiltons or Haynes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Leaning on "commonality" w/o knowing the year, take off the distributor cap. Under the rotor there is a round and about a 2 and 1/2" "plate" with a wire coming out to an electrical plug. After you pop off the rotor, lift the plate out and unplug the connection. Put the new one in. Should be done in 5-10 minutes. Some call it the "cam-shaft sensor"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Call a dealer with the vin number and get the part number. Ask them if they can identify the location.
If you can reference the part number to a parts dealer like AZ. You may be able to get them to located the location.
Let me know if you can’t find it. Send me all your information and I will take a look.

Richard
Retired mechanic USPS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On my 92, v6 and my sons 95 v8, they were mounted on the bell housing pointing down in towards the flex plate. 2 bolts on the passenger side, and it slid out like in a holster or sheath from a little square notch between the bell and the back of the motor, . the v6 had a bit more room to see it but it there about 10 oclock.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
On my 92, v6 and my sons 95 v8, they were mounted on the bell housing pointing down in towards the flex plate. 2 bolts on the passenger side, and it slid out like in a holster or sheath from a little square notch between the bell and the back of the motor, . the v6 had a bit more room to see it but it there about 10 oclock.
No, the camshaft position sensor isn't there on either of those; on both it's in the distributor.

You're confusing the CAMshaft position sensor (what the OP asked about) with the CRANKshaft position sensor (which is where you mentioned it on the Magnum cam-in-block motors).

RwP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts