Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Man you have me wanting to do this now... and HIDs... and LED exterior... thanks a lot Mr. Randy!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did it as much out of necessity as anything but it turned out to be a cool mod that has gotten quite a few compliments and several "Damn, that's bright!" comments from people seeing them at night for the first time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What do you need, the colors of the wiring I tied into?
If I were to remove the dome housing and remove the stock bulb and place the 2 - 4" strips inside of it, how do I wire it. I don't have the truck or Lights with me now, so when I do open it up, what is required if I were to buy the lights? Any connectors too?

Thanks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All you're doing is tying the wires from the dome light connector into the wires on the LED's. I soldered mine in but you can use solderless connectors if you choose.

·
Registered
109 Posts
All you're doing is tying the wires from the dome light connector into the wires on the LED's. I soldered mine in but you can use solderless connectors if you choose.
Perfect! Thank you.

In that case I'll pick up some LED light strips and connectors and have a look at it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can buy LED bulbs that will work with the factory setup, but I chose to go with strips for better coverage.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You can buy LED bulbs that will work with the factory setup, but I chose to go with strips for better coverage.
That's what I was thinking too. If I wanted to add LED strips in other locations to come on when the Dome light comes on, is there a wire to splice into? And does it run behind the headliner and down the A pillar?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, behind the drivers side A pillar is where I tied in the LED's that are on the windshield over the dash.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
very nice mod!! now im wanting that LOL

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
^^^ Very nice! That's what Mr. Jerry needs for his R/T :D:D:D
yeah ive got a gauge faceplate in mind, not sure about lights under neath, never really been into that, but those do look cool!

·
Registered
41 Posts
yeah ive got a gauge faceplate in mind, not sure about lights under neath, never really been into that, but those do look cool!
no faceplates for that.... those are all LED lights... even the heating/cooling controls have been changed to blue. Once i rewire my dome light i'll post a new pic..

keep in mind if you change the faceplates i've noticed that 9 out of 10 times you will mess up one of the needles, and the sheets usually don't sit flush.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts