Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 98 dakota rt with the 46re trans,

well while driving nearly everytime it has trouble shifting in to 3rd gear.

rpms will not shoot up like its slipping but rather just hold 2nd gear... i have to let off the gas then it will shift. then sometimes not i have to pop into "N" then back to drive, then it shifts,

changed trans filter, adjusted the front band which had an inch of play almost, the rear band had alittle under a half inch so i let it alone,

1st to 2nd now is seemless you cant even tell, 3rd to 4th seemless.

but 2nd to 3rd is whats getting me, any input??? magnet did have some shavings on it, but nothing to tell me the trans is failing

the fluid was a very dark burgandy color but didnt smell like it was fried, i did reuse the old fluid for now untill i can flush it and buy more when i get some extra cash.

the transmission doesnt slip just gets stuck like that. i dont have any clue whats going on,

and i also have disapearing fluid problems but theres not a leak that i can see, under the truck is dry,

any help is appreciated

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 99 and I had the SAME problem but it was 2nd going into 3rd...it wouldnt shift unless i let off. If i kept the gas down it would rev limit out. Took the transmission out and it was the bands, they burnt out. I'm not mechanically savy but a guy that does transmissions said they need shift kits. They are made to shift soft which allows them to burn the bands up. Maybe someone on here that knows alot about them can verify this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts