Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so two days ago i was driving my truck and out of no where every single light on the dash board came on, none of the gauges worked, the only one that worked the gas gauge. it stalled three times, then didnt want to start, got stuck in park. when i turned the fog lights on, they just want to flash. the turn signals didnt work or the windshield wipers. the dash lights were blinking, the lights behind like the heater knobs and stuff was off. the radio did work. the tempature gauge that tells u how hot it is outside went blank then to 140%. as of right now its in the shop, the best they could find out so far is a FCM CONTROL MODULE and i will find out if it works in a couple days! oh and the part is 574 bucks plus labor, total of 773.60 so far:mad: anyone got any ideas??:confused:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us.

Wow.:eek: Sorry all that happened to you. I'm hoping one of our more mechanically inclined folks will post up to help. Good luck.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Like EV says, we're glad you are here. I feel I am mechanically inclined, but I have a lot to learn about the electrics, to include the computers. So I won't be of any help either. Sorry. That's quite a hefty price! If ya gotta pay it, I sure hope it solves your problems.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, glad to have you join us! Really sorry to hear about your problem! Unfortunately, I have to add myself to the list of those for whom electrical is not a strong suit, but do you by chance have any kind of extended warranty on it that might help soften the blow to the wallet? Good luck though, and be sure to keep us posted! Hope you enjoy the site! :)

- Cajun

·
Banned
2,418 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Good to have you with us, I hope you enjoy the board! My Nitro did something like that a couple of days ago. I wasn't moving, I was trying to start her in the cold and she wouldn't start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys! no i dont a a warranty on the electronics i called them to find out, all i have left is a powertran warranty till 2013.

·
Registered
842 Posts
thanks guys! no i dont a a warranty on the electronics i called them to find out, all i have left is a powertran warranty till 2013.

Too bad about the warranty. That's the kind of luck I have. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I know it sounds barbaric, but take a rubber hammer and whack the pcm or the fcm. That's a quick way to find out if thats the problem.
On my '92 model I would be going down the hiway and it'd just die, like you turned off the key, but all the lights stayed on. I'd step out and whack the pcm, fire it up and drive on. Sometimes it'd run for an hour or maybe a week. Worked til I could afford a new one.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I know it sounds barbaric, but take a rubber hammer and whack the pcm or the fcm. That's a quick way to find out if thats the problem.
On my '92 model I would be going down the hiway and it'd just die, like you turned off the key, but all the lights stayed on. I'd step out and whack the pcm, fire it up and drive on. Sometimes it'd run for an hour or maybe a week. Worked til I could afford a new one.

LOL Strange things Do work at times. I had an '06 Grand Caravan that had 4 yrs on it and nearly 100K miles, when one day I was coming back from my Dad's (about 80miles from home), it was pouring down rain and suddenly the wipers dropped down one speed and next thing I knew they stopped! In a panic, I grabbed that control flipped it up and down quickly and suddenly the wipers were working right. Some time later (a few weeks or so), the lights went haywire (if I flipped on the right signal, the left one came on and the same, if I turned on the left one. I did my thing with the control again and it cleared up. One day, it went further than that. If I hit the dimmer switch, the wipers ran, if I hit the right turn, the left one came on and so on. (Remember, the wiper, turn signals and dimmer was all in 1 switch) I could just see dollar signs on getting that thing replaced and the warranty was out. So, the 1st chance I got, I swapped it off and got the '07 Charger R/T last May, with only a little over 30K miles on it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome! that is a weird issue and im no mechanic either, but hopefully RamTech, our resident guru will be by soon to lend his thoughts

but i would take it to another dealer or shop and get a second opinion before you shell out those kinds of clams for a repair, especially on a truck that is still relatively new

good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts