Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody--

I've seen great expert advice on this forum and am hoping someone has an idea about how to troubleshoot the following mystery. I've done a fair amount of web research, unfort. w/o finding a solution.

My mechanic replaced the transmission in my 1993 Dodge Dakota V8 (5.2 engine). The new tranny is a 46RH/A518. He also replaced the cooler and installed a new lock-up torque converter, and switched the VSS from the old to the new transmission.

When I got the truck back, I immediately noticed the following:
1) The RPMs are now significantly lower in all gears. When driving on a level surface, they are around or below 1000 RPM. Acceleration or hills don't take RPMs above 2000. Before the transmission exchange, the RPM used to be at about 2200 or 2300 up to about 50 mph or so. They were never below 1500.
2) Gas mileage dropped from 14 miles per gallon to 10.5 mpg (on rural 35 mph roads w/o stops).
3) The truck "felt" like it had less power and was less responsive to gas pedal pressure.
4) The emergency brake depresses much farther and it's possible to drive the truck with the brake fully depressed. (coincidental??)

2 months later, the same symptoms persist. I'd like to get back up to 14 mpg AND get rid of the sluggish performance, i.e. like the truck used to perform before the transmission exchange. I'm wondering what the best way to proceed would be. Any ideas what is going on here? Thanks for reading. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It sounds like a torque converter issue, it might be locking up at such low rpm that the engine is struggling to move the truck. You might want to swap it out for the original or a comparable non locking converter and see if the problem goes away. Yes its a pain to do but it might solve the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts