Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy a 2011 Dakota Laramie 4x4. I was dissapointed to see that the NAV system is no longer an option.

It comes with Media Center 230 6-CD/DVD/MP3.

Can you swap that with the 430N system? What other aftermarket systems have you guys used? I like the idea of the 430N system because I have it in my Challenger and Charger and its the Dodge 'factory' option.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome!

crutchfield has lots of info on what will fit your truck. search there for info then find it cheaper on amazon (usually LOL)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome!

crutchfield has lots of info on what will fit your truck. search there for info then find it cheaper on amazon (usually LOL)
agree... just make sure you get the correct mounting brackets for the double din or else its going to be hard to secure to the factory housing..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I can get a 2010 RER 430N for a reasonable price. Anyone install one of these systems themselves? Does the Dakota require slowspeed or highspeed?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
not sure what you mean, slowspeed or highspeed? is the 430 the same DIN as the 230? if it is, im sure it will fit, but not sure how it will work. plus im sure there is an antenna to run also

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay - I have a RER 730N slow speed bus nav unit with iPod and uconnect, ipod ingegration system including ipod cable and remote mic on order. I talked with these guys: http://www.oemautopartsco.com/ and it should all be plug and play. I need to mount the GPS antenna (dash), route the microphone (a pillar) and the rest is gravy. I'll post my install when I wrap it up. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Okay - I have a RER 730N slow speed bus nav unit with iPod and uconnect, ipod ingegration system including ipod cable and remote mic on order. I talked with these guys: http://www.oemautopartsco.com/ and it should all be plug and play. I need to mount the GPS antenna (dash), route the microphone (a pillar) and the rest is gravy. I'll post my install when I wrap it up. Thanks for the suggestions.
Wish I had seen this earlier...

Yes its super easy to do.

If you need any help send me a PM, i added the RER (730N) to my caliber. I hid the microphone up on the top corner of my windshield.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

If you need any help send me a PM, i added the RER (730N) to my caliber. I hid the microphone up on the top corner of my windshield.

you know i noticed that touchscreen the other day when you posted these new pics and i thought "the caliber comes with a touchscreen?" very nice!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
you know i noticed that touchscreen the other day when you posted these new pics and i thought "the caliber comes with a touchscreen?" very nice!!
the 2007 and 2008 Calibers did not, but the 2009+ Calibers do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its done! My parts arrived Friday and my wife and I just finished the install (Now I think she may catch the mod bug). It is super easy to do. It took us about an hour only because we were being very careful in removing some of the dash components.

So I had to install the ipod adapter which is a piggy back - peice of cake. The instructions say you need to drill a hole, but it wasn't neccesary. The ipod connector is routed to the glove box.

The mic was very easy. The GPS antenna was the only thing that took any time because I didn't want to break anything pulling the top of the dash apart. Anyway - no idea why Dodge said it wouldn't work because BOOM - there it is working in my 2011 Dakota.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks for the offer of help- You're right - it was easy. Looks good! Where did you mount your nav antenna?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glad to see you got it! Looks great!

I have my gps receiver under my dash right at the bottom of the windshield in one of the areas here:

My microphone is almost in the same spot, only its stuck to the windshield, so its almost invisible

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Couple of questions, I have the Mygig RER in my 06 Daytona and what is a 730N? I'm just used to the RER and no other designator, also what is the oldest model you can put one of these in? I had to use a Lockpick Adapter to install the unit in my Daytona, does the same thing apply to the older Dakota's?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
they are the same thing, RER is the factory build code, 730N is the common user friendly name

cant help with the second part of your question, sorry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts