Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I鈥檓 looking for a front bumper valance(aka air dam)(plastic shield below bumper) . Used or new. Cheapest one on the web I could find was $250 + $150 shipping...for a piece of plastic 馃サ. Anyone have one? Anyone know a guy? 馃槃

My 1990 Dakota is the original body style. Same as 87-89.

Regards,
Mitch

Registered
If nobody has one here (I have one - on my truck! - but not for sale), you might want to hit up car-part.com and find someone with the front bumper, then message them or call them and see if they'll either sell the valance panel by itself or the panel and the bumper cheap enough to be worth it to you.

For instance, using my zip code, I find one about 210 miles away that's $75 for the whole bumper in black (means painted, so could paint it to match my truck); they also list chrome bumpers, but you do a different search for chrome. 210 miles is about 2 tanks of gas; at today's prices for me, about $75 for gas there and back. So $150 total for the bumper.

RwP

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
If nobody has one here (I have one - on my truck! - but not for sale), you might want to hit up car-part.com and find someone with the front bumper, then message them or call them and see if they'll either sell the valance panel by itself or the panel and the bumper cheap enough to be worth it to you.

For instance, using my zip code, I find one about 210 miles away that's $75 for the whole bumper in black (means painted, so could paint it to match my truck); they also list chrome bumpers, but you do a different search for chrome. 210 miles is about 2 tanks of gas; at today's prices for me, about $75 for gas there and back. So $150 total for the bumper.

RwP

RwP
Hi Ralph,
Thats a great idea! Thanks for your advice. Makes sense just to look up entire bumpers because chances are they still have the valance. I can鈥檛 imagine them being too expensive either. Heading over to car-part now 馃榿

-Mitch

Registered
Rock Auto probably has them for your truck. I got mine from them for a 95 Dakota. More than likely the same, fitment wise.

Registered
Rock Auto probably has them for your truck. I got mine from them for a 95 Dakota. More than likely the same, fitment wise.
Nope, 1987-1990 are flat front, 1991-1996 bubble front. Different bumpers, different valances.

And no, RockAuto doesn't have them.

There's the Street Scenes valance, but at around $300 each, I wasn't going to drive with one on my truck. Might double the value of it, though the truck that is!

RwP

Registered
Did not think of that. 91 was the first year for a V8,(Shelby model excluded) so they have a more curved grill/bumper area.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I鈥檓 going to try them out. Thanks!
Nope, 1987-1990 are flat front, 1991-1996 bubble front. Different bumpers, different valances.

There's the Street Scenes valance, but at around $300 each, I wasn't going to drive with one on my truck. Might double the value of it, though the truck that is!

RwP

RwP
I saw those $300 Street Scene ones. So much money. Would they actually fit though?

I鈥檝e been checking out car-parts.com and I鈥檓 getting warm. Going to try to get a junkyard to remove one from a bumper and ship it to me 馃槃

Registered
I鈥檓 going to try them out. Thanks!

I saw those $300 Street Scene ones. So much money. Would they actually fit though?

I鈥檝e been checking out car-parts.com and I鈥檓 getting warm. Going to try to get a junkyard to remove one from a bumper and ship it to me 馃槃
Try car-part.com (no "s"). I'm not sure if it's Car-Parts or CarParts, but one used to be JCWhitney ...

EDIT: Well, the 87-90 Street Scenes valances are supposed to (one has cutouts for fog lights, one does not); the 91-96 ones, no. But I have no actual experience, having found a couple (one was a bit broken up, one not) at a boneyard.

RwP

Registered
Discussion Starter #9

RwP
I ended up finding a few promising valances on car-part.com. Getting one shipped from Iowa. Took a while to get it shipped due to the nasty weather up there. A lot of good options up in the Northern states 馃榿 Thanks for the advice Ralph!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts