Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

You guys helped me so much the last few years and finally got my 1991 Dakota 2 door 2wd 3.9l running pretty darn good. It has less that 160.000 miles on it and has been serving me well....until yesterday when a mindless motorist hits me hard on the front left corner of the truck.
I'll get the police report tomorrow and it will show the other driver at fault. Aside from my injuries, the Ins. co. will probably want to Total my truck rather than get it fixed.
Anyone had this experience? The truck is unsafe right now - hood won't close completely and I think a control arm is bent cause it's pulling to the right now and I can't find that part anywhere - even if i did find the parts, no one in town will work on it.

Any idea what I can look forward to here? I fear I'll only get a couple thousand and be without a vehicle to drive.

Oh- i live in mississippi
thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
You are in a tough position. If you have your own comprehensive and collision coverage your insurance company could be brought in to pursue a claim against the other motorist, but they will not gain much for you. They will get you appraised value without applying the deductible but that's about it. If you don't have comprehensive and collision coverage and only liability your insurance company will do nothing. You will need to file a claim with the other motorist's insurance company. If your truck has special options that might increase the book value that would help a little, but the vehicle is 31 years old and has high mileage and that is how it will be appraised.

Makanak

·
Aww Peg!
2,990 Posts
Do your homework. Find out what your truck was worth at the time of the accident. Insurance companies will undercut wherever they can & lowball you. If they won't cover what the truck is worth tell them you want a replacement in kind then. Stick to your guns & they will usually pony up the money just to close the claim.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Joe - on the edmonds site, under vehicle 'style' there is no option for my truck - all the 3.9s are 4wd and the only base models have the 2.5L. I even inputted my vin and it says they can not determine the style from the vin..very strange.

I didn't know there's a chance of getting some sort of replacement vehicle but I will inquire about that for sure. My disability lawyer is gonna do me a favor and walk me through what is likely to take place.
I still can't get the accident report until tomorrow.
I did find that if they 'total' the truck and I decide to keep it - i'd be branded as a salvage vehicle; guess i could live with that. oh, but the ins. co would then deduct the salvage worth from the money they give me. It all seems like a lose lose for me.
Still doing homework,
thanks again Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are my fears as well. looks like a lose lose. I do have a '94 dakota that just need a fuel pump and front end work - shocks i hope. I can go back to driving it. Finding mechanics willing to even work on the truck ain't easy. it's only got 156000 miles on it and needed a steering pump. I'm having trouble finding things like control arms online. rockauto is out of stock.

this is a link to 'imagur' of the damage

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Actually, Edmonds " could not locate this VIN." 3 of the sites like VINCHECKPRO found my truck easily. So edmonds ain't helpin me over here :/

Kelly's blue book also 'cannot locate my VIN'!!!

I always thought the truck, before the crash, would only bring $1000 due to several defects - no wipers - terrible paint - poor reverse gear, for instance

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thank you; that's a very cool site!
I still don't know what parts I'll need but I did a quick test search for a "Control Arm, Front Upper 4x2 Right" but when the list comes up it just says
1991 Dodge Dakota
Control Arm, Front Upper' Will control arms work the same on both sides?
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Mickey
"If you take salvage on it"
I'm stull unclear on that. My city told me that 'they don't take salvage titles' - i guess meaning I couldn't get a tag?
I want to keep the truck and fix it up best I can and I want to keep my title! Will that mean I'll get a smaller payoff or what? idk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts