Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to get some more slack in the wires that plug onto the top of the fuel tank and I can't find a wiring diagram ANYWHERE!!! 3 wires come from the front of the truck and two split off and go to the back. The two wires with the arrows are the ones that go to the back and I can't tell where they end up. The only other wires back there are for the taillights and license plate light. Why would wires coming off the fuel pump need to go back towards the taillights?
If someone can post a diagram, or tell me what the grey wire and the white/black tracer wire are for I would be eternally grateful.
thanks. View attachment 3418 View attachment 3418
Wood Electrical wiring Garden hose Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I don't have the 1991 FSM; but the 1992 uses the same pump, so the pins will do the same.

I've attached a PDF of that page of the wiring diagram from the 1992 FSM.

It shows both of those being grounds, going to the left rear fender for a ground point. (Outer one is pump, next is fuel sending unit ground.)

Green is the fuel pump power line.

The other two lines (center and next to green) are used for the sending unit.

RwP

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have the 1991 FSM; but the 1992 uses the same pump, so the pins will do the same.

It shows both of those being grounds, going to the left rear fender for a ground point. (Outer one is pump, next is fuel sending unit ground.)

RwP
That's great!!! But I don't see an attachment?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

RwP
Something must have changed between 91 and 92 because I don't see any kind of ground attachment anywhere. Ive removed all the split loom and what I see is, the two wires coming off the gas tank and another wire go into this black thing, and when they come out the other side they are all the same color. One splits off going to the left taillight and the other two go to the right taillight. If I knew for sure that those two wires coming off the pump were ground wires I would cut them and run a ground closer to the tank and that way I could have much more slack in the wires. But I can't be sure so I better not start cutting wires. It will make it much harder to get that plug in when we go to put the tank back in. But oh well.
Hand tool Automotive tire Tread Pliers Tool

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I gave up on trying to figure out where those 2 wires go to ground. Could not find ANYTHING that looked like a ground. I ended up just adding a few inches of wire to them so I can have the slack I need. But I don't understand why there is no ground for the taillights or license plate light. All that is plastic so it makes no sense. Must be really well hidden.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I thought I had attached it ... there's a bolt inside the fender on a 1992.

You might need to hit up Bishko Books for the factory service manual.

But yes, those two go to a ground SOMEWHERE.

RwP

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought I had attached it ... there's a bolt inside the fender on a 1992.

You might need to hit up Bishko Books for the factory service manual.

But yes, those two go to a ground SOMEWHERE.

RwP
Well, I guess in 92 they must have decided that running a ground to the fender was better than running two 8 foot long wires to the back of the truck to ground them wherever they ended up grounding them. Cus I sure couldnt figure out where it is. At least now I have slack in the loom that goes to the top of the tank so it'll be easier if we ever have to drop the tank again. If the new fuel pump lasts as long as this one did I'll be happy though. It's got a ton of miles on it.

·
Registered
2003 RT with 5.9
281 Posts
Well, I guess in 92 they must have decided that running a ground to the fender was better than running two 8 foot long wires to the back of the truck to ground them wherever they ended up grounding them. Cus I sure couldnt figure out where it is. At least now I have slack in the loom that goes to the top of the tank so it'll be easier if we ever have to drop the tank again. If the new fuel pump lasts as long as this one did I'll be happy though. It's got a ton of miles on it.
What brand fuel pump did you guys wind up buying?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The red plug in pic looks like a trailer harness. FWIW.
Well, I don't know what FWIW means. I didnt need help identifying the plug. It goes to the fuel pump, not a trailer harness. I just needed to know what the individual wires are for. But it doesnt matter now, I got the problem solved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts