Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A year ago i bought a 2005 Dakota, 4.7L, and now I want to replace the exhaust system. The previous owner installed headers, with straight pipes going all the way back (no converters or mufflers). In the process he cut off the wires that connect to the oxygen sensors. I want to replace the missing wires, but I don't know where they go to. Anyone have any suggestions on where they lead to?

·
Registered
23 Posts
You’ll need to pick up a shop manual with wiring diagram.
You can usually get the replacement connectors at your local auto parts store. Just match them up to the oxygen sensor.
I would highly suggest installing the front O2 sensors into the pipe before installing the exhaust.
Makes it mush easier.
I would suspect you have all kinds of codes showing up so you will need to clear the codes with a code reader and then drive letting the system find the new sensors.
Note: you may experience a code after the first few cycles while the new pipes burn off oil residue. Not common but sometimes.
Clear the code a couple of times before looking elsewhere.
Hope this helps. That wiring diagram is key to getting it back correctly.
Oh one more thing.
When splicing the wires:
Slip some shrink tubing up onto the wires before reconnecting. Also soldier the connections and then shrink the tubing around the wire.
Make sure your wires are well protected and away from the exhaust and shifter links.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh one other thing:
If you have some salvage yards in your area and after you purchase your O2 sensors take them to the salvage yard and cut the connectors off a salvage Dakota or Durango.
Hopefully you can find a 2005 insuring the same color code on the wiring.

·
Registered
691 Posts
A year ago i bought a 2005 Dakota, 4.7L, and now I want to replace the exhaust system. The previous owner installed headers, with straight pipes going all the way back (no converters or mufflers). In the process he cut off the wires that connect to the oxygen sensors. I want to replace the missing wires, but I don't know where they go to. Anyone have any suggestions on where they lead to?
I posted a link for a Free download of the 2005 Dodge Dakota Factory Service Manual ---> Here.

You should find what you need, and more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts