Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Texas! I have a 1989 Dakota sport v6 3.9 liter and am looking to replace my exhaust system, but cannot find a system that I am sure would work. I’m relatively new to Dakotas and trucks in general because I just turned 16 a while ago. I am looking to do the least amount of welding and custom modifications that I need, not because I am lazy, but because I do not have many resources. Thank you for any recommendations or help!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Not hard to find - 1989 DODGE DAKOTA 3.9L 239cid V6 Exhaust System Kit | RockAuto

You will need to know if you have the 112" or 124" wheelbase (hint: 6.5' bed went on 112", 8' bed on 124") to order the right one.

You can also get cat-back parts from a lot of places. You can ALSO get the cat from a lot of places.

What you CAN'T get anymore is the Y pipe - in 2018, I bought the last MagnaFlow Y pipe in North America (seriously! They had to ship it from Canada!)

But if yours isn't totally shot, you can get a new Y-pipe made.

Don't forget to replace the O2 sensor while you're doing the rest of the exhaust.

All you'll really need to swap that is a pipe cutter to remove the old exhaust (what's left of it) like this one - DEF Chain Style Tailpipe and Exhaust Piepe Cutter Cut-Off Tool - - Amazon.com . Note: A lot of auto parts stores will sell you one on the "Rent-A-Tool" where you get the money back when you return it; both 1/2" and 9/16" (or 7/16", I forget!) deep throat sockets to fit the clamps; a healthy sized ratchet to torque them down adequately; and I'd add some "Exhaust System Sealant" ( Yale MC16 Muffler Cement 16oz (Pack of 2): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific is an example) to go into the seams after you've got everything lined up. DO get the hangers if they're not included.

If you do the O2, you'll want the O2 socket to do it; I had to use the crows foot style on my 1988, but you may be able to use the deep throat socket version. Check the rack at the parts house.

Also, BTW, you can order the parts one at a time; if you have a relative or friend who's a Prime member, order the parts one at a time off Amazon and you can stretch out the money going out.

RwP

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Heh.

I replaced my exhaust earlier this year; again, I DID have the last MagnaFlow Y pipe sold in North America.

I used an Eastern catalytic converter, and since I wanted some tone, I used a Red Hot glasspack.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002M9PBQ/ is what I used.

For looks, I also added a chrome turndown; won't even point to one, I bought mine on impulse at O'Reilly's.

But yes, it's a lot nicer sounding with a whole exhaust on it.

(The stuff downstream from the Y pipe is galvanized steel; the Y pipe is stainless. Oh, well. All I could afford and find.)

RwP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts