Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having issues with my 2 dodge Dakota's. Any information/ help is appreciated. I currently have 3 trucks broken down and need 1 running.
1. 01 Dakota 4.7. needing either a new wiring harness or computer. Ran 500 miles, then cylinder 3 misfire, fuel injector circuit open. Won't erase. Replaced coil pack, fuel injector, and spark plug. Noticed coating around wires on coil pack, and fuel injector are crumbling. Replaced connectors on both and checked wire further down, fixed it. Still a code. On my cheapo OBD2 scanner, can erase the code, then comes back. On my expensive scanner it says its not equipped with a pcm. My friends expensive scanner, recognizes the pcm.
I'm frustrated with the truck, and probably over looking something.
2. 07 Dakota 3.7. p0204 code. Random misfiring. Got rid of that code. Now it's cylinder 1 misfire. Changed coil pack, injector, etc. Did a compression test 127psi, but not holding pressure. Smokes on start up, then goes away.
Truck starts and runs fine when cold. Problem starts when truck is warmed up. Shut the truck off, go into convenience store, come back out, start it and check engine light comes on, then misfiring.

·
Registered
2004 Dodge Dakota SLT - Quad Cab - 4.7L V8
10 Posts
I'm having issues with my 2 dodge Dakota's. Any information/ help is appreciated. I currently have 3 trucks broken down and need 1 running.
1. 01 Dakota 4.7. needing either a new wiring harness or computer. Ran 500 miles, then cylinder 3 misfire, fuel injector circuit open. Won't erase. Replaced coil pack, fuel injector, and spark plug. Noticed coating around wires on coil pack, and fuel injector are crumbling. Replaced connectors on both and checked wire further down, fixed it. Still a code. On my cheapo OBD2 scanner, can erase the code, then comes back. On my expensive scanner it says its not equipped with a pcm. My friends expensive scanner, recognizes the pcm.
I'm frustrated with the truck, and probably over looking something.
2. 07 Dakota 3.7. p0204 code. Random misfiring. Got rid of that code. Now it's cylinder 1 misfire. Changed coil pack, injector, etc. Did a compression test 127psi, but not holding pressure. Smokes on start up, then goes away.
Truck starts and runs fine when cold. Problem starts when truck is warmed up. Shut the truck off, go into convenience store, come back out, start it and check engine light comes on, then misfiring.
For the 01 Dakota, you may want to try resetting your PCM before moving onto more pricey methods.

For the 07 Dakota, it honestly sounds like a blown head-gasket... you could try using liquid head-gasket sealer to see if that will temporarily allow you to rebuild pressure in that cylinder and remedy the misfire, but I wouldn't use it as a permanent fix.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts