Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a loaded question. I have a 99 Dakota 5.2 4x4. I recently just did a engine gasket rebuild on the motor. I was having issues with it starting, and got it started, got the timing set to what I thought was right. Then when I went to start it the next day it wouldn't start, the battery has enough juice in it to start but wont. When I stop turning the ignition it acts like its trying to run but "chokes" out and then a cloud of smoke comes through the top of the TBI. I check my MAPS sensor and IAC sensor and both are good. When I check the TPS sensor it only went up to 3.89 on my ohm meter, is this an acceptable range? In the book it says it should be 4.5. Would this be the problem with being so hard to start? Ive already put new spark plug wires, spark plugs, distributor cap, and checked the ignition coil and its good. Also when I had it running and I could ease on the gas it was fine but as soon as I punched the gas pedal it wanted to choke out and die.HELP

·
Registered
548 Posts
Reading your post, it seems that you tried to set the timing after the engine was back together and it wouldn't start. But the symptoms seem like it could be a valve timing problem, especially the smoke coming out of the throttle body. Did your 'engine gasket rebuild' include replacing the timing chain? Are you sure that the crankshaft/camshaft timing is correct? Also, since you replaced plugs, wires and distributor cap, triple check to make sure you have the correct wires going to the correct plugs.

When you say you got the timing set to what you thought was right, are you referring to ignition timing? That is controlled completely by the ECM, and trying to adjust the distributor will not affect ignition timing. It will however, affect fuel injector synchronization. If you moved the distributor, you may have to have the fuel sync checked and adjusted, which will require a DRBII scan tool or other capable device.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts