Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need information concerning the airbag light. Can this light be reset? Is there a way to determine what part has failed or sensor? the location of the sensor. The other item I have is the PCM or computer. Has anyone used a unit from a salvage yard? Does a salvage unit need to be reprogramed by the dealer? How can I know if the salvage unit is correct with mine? Has anyone used one of the online repairs companies? I know it is a lot...Thanks for your help and time.

·
Registered
691 Posts
You need to connect an Advanced Code Reader to your truck, one that can ABS/SRS codes. It will read the code and yes, you can also 'Clear' the code and light. But mainly it will steer you in the difection of the part needing replacement.

There are companies on Ebay that sell PCMs, and you only have to provide your VIN for it to function properly. I can't recommend a certain seller though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to connect an Advanced Code Reader to your truck, one that can ABS/SRS codes. It will read the code and yes, you can also 'Clear' the code and light. But mainly it will steer you in the difection of the part needing replacement.

There are companies on Ebay that sell PCMs, and you only have to provide your VIN for it to function properly. I can't recommend a certain seller though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help and info. I'll try and see what results from this brings. maybe this will work and I will not need to go down the "swap out the computer rabbit hole".

·
Registered
115 Posts
Did you check the fuses? An airbag light without a code/check engine light, is probably a fuse. I don't think the Takata recall affects the 98' Dak, just a good idea to check your VIN at safecar.gov to make sure all recalls have been taken care of.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information. I will check the fuses. I never considered checking the fuse. Always start with the least likely and the simplest solution. I need to remember "Keep it simple".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts