Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum however I have owned my 2001 Quad Cab Dodge Dakota for the last 12 years. I bought it at a dealership in Jacksonville, NC in 2006 and it had one previous owner who had just traded it in the day or 2 before with 113,000 miles. It is a 2WD SLT pickup with 3.9L Magnum V6 and still runs well with about 250,000 miles on her. I often wish that I had the exact same looking pickup but with 4WD and a V8 motor, because this truck is seriously under powered. I did get 22-23 MPG highway at first, but now 17 is about all I'm seeing. The truck weighs too much (and of course my pickup bed is full of tools and junk under a nice camper shell) for this 175HP engine.

Has anybody done a swap for a 5.2L Magnum V8 (I don't need the 5.9 power and poor fuel economy) or I'd really like to see about a swap to the newer Pentastar 3.6L V6 with I think 270HP? I'd also wonder if the 8 speed transmission would fit in this vehicle? Otherwise are there any mods that I can do to the 3.9L to boost power and economy without killing my motor?

Can a 2WD 2001 Quad Cab Dakota be modified to become a 4WD without busting the bank? Also looking at interior upgrades. I really wish somebody on one of those TV Shows like "Trick My Truck" or whatever the shows are called that take your pickup and do an extreme truck makeover on it, would come take my pickup. I love the size and the look of this pickup, but just have "visions of grandeur" in what it could look like and be!

Well I'm now here in this forum, so what say ye? Oh ya, I'm a retired (2016) US Navy Seabee and spent almost 30 years in! "Who-Yah!"

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good luck my fellow MoPar friend. The 3.9 has never been 175bhp. I get your dilemma. Had a 93' Dak, w/ the 3.9. It's about 145-150bhp Heavy truck, with an underpowered engine. My suggestion, get a gen 4 Dak, or a Ram with the improved 4.7L. (If not HEMI 5.7) I think it's around 280bhp. (The 5.7 is around 320bhp) switching the power plant, and trans over. Same amount of money as a new'ish truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeahhh sounds like you got your money out of it Brother. Its age and mileage alone, what you're really looking for is gonna be found in buying a (anoth)new(er) Truck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts