Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends! So I'm in a bit of a pickle here, and i need this forums best to help me out.

Truck broke down on Monday, and the shop can't figure it out. Spent some time there, and we've come to the conclusion that the engine is just blown. The only thing missing... was coolant. And looking around, you can see where there is some seeping going on, and its just toast.

Given that the rest of the truck is still pretty decent, I'm looking into just swapping the engine now. That's where the smartest people on here come in! I need help figuring out what will fit in the truck, as far as an upgrade to a v8 will go. The truck isn't very special, but I'm attatched to it now, and see an opportunity for an upgrade.

I got a '94 Dakota Sport 3.9L v6 Automatic

Just need to know what I can fit in there, that is compatible with the tranny, and where to get one! Thank you for any and all input!

Steve.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Easy? 5.2 or 5.9 with a 5.2 ECU for your year.

You can also get a 46RH which is what came behind the 5.2 for 1994, and a driveshaft to fit.

And the best part - hit up car-part.com and search there, you may find all of the parts needed in a nearby wrecking yard.

To swap the motor, you'll need the ECU for it, and to add two wires to the cab harness for #7 and #8 injectors (or a 1994 V8 harness - should be able to use a 1992-1995 harness, but am not positive on that.)

ECU needs to be a 94/95 to match the wiring in the rest of the truck with minimal problems.

What makes those two engines best first cut are the fact that the 5.2 was a factory option; and the 5.9 uses the exact same accessory drive, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, engine mounts, and transmissions as the 5.2 .

Now, if you have slightly deeper pockets grins Holley now sells all the parts needed to drop a Gen III Hemi motor into a 1st Gen Dakota. For a 1994, see 1987-96 Dodge Dakota Gen III Hemi Swap Components - Holley Again, you can check with car-part.com for possible suppliers for a boneyard Hemi and drivetrain. No, I wouldn't try a Hemi in front of a 42RH which is what you have currently unless I was trying to see how many little bitty pieces it could come out as ... )

RwP

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easy? 5.2 or 5.9 with a 5.2 ECU for your year.

You can also get a 46RH which is what came behind the 5.2 for 1994, and a driveshaft to fit.

And the best part - hit up car-part.com and search there, you may find all of the parts needed in a nearby wrecking yard.

To swap the motor, you'll need the ECU for it, and to add two wires to the cab harness for #7 and #8 injectors (or a 1994 V8 harness - should be able to use a 1992-1995 harness, but am not positive on that.)

ECU needs to be a 94/95 to match the wiring in the rest of the truck with minimal problems.

What makes those two engines best first cut are the fact that the 5.2 was a factory option; and the 5.9 uses the exact same accessory drive, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, engine mounts, and transmissions as the 5.2 .

Now, if you have slightly deeper pockets grins Holley now sells all the parts needed to drop a Gen III Hemi motor into a 1st Gen Dakota. For a 1994, see 1987-96 Dodge Dakota Gen III Hemi Swap Components - Holley Again, you can check with car-part.com for possible suppliers for a boneyard Hemi and drivetrain. No, I wouldn't try a Hemi in front of a 42RH which is what you have currently unless I was trying to see how many little bitty pieces it could come out as ... )

RwP
Excellent! Thank you so much for the knowledge! So, can I drop the 5.2 in, and will it bolt up to the 42RH just fine? Your the man, man!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Excellent! Thank you so much for the knowledge! So, can I drop the 5.2 in, and will it bolt up to the 42RH just fine? Your the man, man!
It will; but you may need a different torque converter since the flex plate may have a different pattern for the torque converter.

One note I forgot to mention - 94/95 have the EGR still and use the same size exhaust manifolds as your V6 did, so the factory exhaust will bolt right up.

92/93 have EGR still, but are a bit larger ID on the manifolds and will need custom exhaust plumbing.

96 didn't have EGR on the Dakotas; so there's that to consider. Will need a 92-95 intake and a 94/95 exhaust manifold set to be as plug and play as possible.

RwP

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will; but you may need a different torque converter since the flex plate may have a different pattern for the torque converter.

One note I forgot to mention - 94/95 have the EGR still and use the same size exhaust manifolds as your V6 did, so the factory exhaust will bolt right up.

92/93 have EGR still, but are a bit larger ID on the manifolds and will need custom exhaust plumbing.

96 didn't have EGR on the Dakotas; so there's that to consider. Will need a 92-95 intake and a 94/95 exhaust manifold set to be as plug and play as possible.

RwP
Excellent info! Do you know if there's any write ups on adding the extra wires for the extra injectors?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Excellent info! Do you know if there's any write ups on adding the extra wires for the extra injectors?
Not offhand, no.

It's just the wires for Injector #7 and Injector #8 in the wiring harness; consult the wiring diagrams in the factory service manual for specifics.

RwP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts