Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2003 SXT regular cab with 60,238 miles from neighbors estate. Its a 3.6 v6 automatic. Only service records are from 1/06/ 2018 at 56,568 miles oil and filter + 2 tires, Other two tires appear new. upper control bushings, full alignment front shocks. rear dif lube and gasket.
11/26 18 58,059 miles. tranny flush + oil. spark wires and plugs, water pump, radiator, + hoses and t stat gasket, waterpump bypass tube.
It does have ac, ps pb and that about it. Been garaged all its life so no major paint damage from our Arizona sun.
Anything I should be looking for more age related that milage? It does seem rather lacking in pull away power. not yet had it out on the highway where we have long 6% grades.
I will probably only put 5k a year on the thing and dont want to hot rod it. Maybe haul 2 dirt bikes around.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
160 Posts
In '14 I bought an '03 with 48k on it. Was throwing the 'fuel evap' code which turned out to be related to the tubing for that system (emanating from under the battery on the passenger' side) being dry & cracked (this is an RT with 5.9 so it may have different routing then yours). I did have an issue with the PCM that required me to send the PCM to a facility to have it repaired & I have had to have all 4 ball joints replaced to get it through state inspection. Upper control arm on one side had bad bushings, also. I am pretty sure mine didn't have regular maintenance besides oil changes, so I did all that after I bought it (s-belt, hoses, tranny filter, rad flush, rear diff oil, etc . . .) & it does sound as if all that has been taken care on yours. I've encountered some stupid stuff, that I attribute to it being a Dodge, that is not affecting driveability, but nothing major.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought a 2003 SXT regular cab with 60,238 miles from neighbors estate. Its a 3.6 v6 automatic. Only service records are from 1/06/ 2018 at 56,568 miles oil and filter + 2 tires, Other two tires appear new. upper control bushings, full alignment front shocks. rear dif lube and gasket.
11/26 18 58,059 miles. tranny flush + oil. spark wires and plugs, water pump, radiator, + hoses and t stat gasket, waterpump bypass tube.
It does have ac, ps pb and that about it. Been garaged all its life so no major paint damage from our Arizona sun.
Anything I should be looking for more age related that milage? It does seem rather lacking in pull away power. not yet had it out on the highway where we have long 6% grades.
I will probably only put 5k a year on the thing and dont want to hot rod it. Maybe haul 2 dirt bikes around.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Seems it has been subjected to tender care. It will not give you the power you want but my 2004 4.7ltr Extended Cab seems to grunt to give me 13.6 mpg. Smaller engine=better mileage. If you are just hauling dirt bikes and casual stuff, you'll learn to love the better gas consumption. Enjoy it and use it well. Never going to win a race at the local drag strip but that's no why you bought it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After driving it a bit I think it was a bit doggier and rougher than normal. I found some advice given here about rerouting spark wires. After fully enclosing the wires full length with that corrugated tubing and re routing those that needed, it seems to run smother and has more power. Still slow to go but smooth.
Now I am wondering about the brakes which were inspected whenever serviced. So I assumed them to be good to go but I had to lay onto them a time or two and it seemed to kick in the anti lock prematurely. Felt like it was not going to stop at first. But held its line. I need to get on some wet pavement and do some skid pad testing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts