Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just got me 2008 Dodge Dakota Sxt 4x4 Crew Cab with a 3.7 v6 and I love it. The only thing I am looking to get out of it is a bit better gas mileage. I plan on getting a forced air intake, a new exhaust, and a performance chip. I was just wondering if there were any brand suggestions, muffler sizes, whether I should go single or dual exhaust, and what kind of performance chip i should get.
Thanks

·
Registered
735 Posts
Performance chips are simply a waste of your money. A programmer or tuner are the ways to improve performance. Not sure which model works on the 08 3.7. Hypertech had a programmer for the 3.7, but I don't think it worked on the 2008+ Dakotas.

Muffler sounds are subjective, so check out some sound clips on youtube, just remember the 4.7 and 3.7 exhausts sound are totally different. I had Magnaflow muffler (#12256) on my 4.7, which sounded really good, upgraded to a Borla cat back SS system when the aluminum piping started to rust away. If you want the exhaust to last, getting a Stainless Steel cat back system is the best option, especially if you're located in a colder area due to road salt. But you can simply replace the muffler with an aftermarket one, a 2 1/2 inch offset muffler will work fine. An aftermarket muffler will be smaller than the huge stock muffler, so a small piece of exhaust pipe will be necessary to fill the gap. Oh, and remove the exhaust resonator if you want to actually hear it. Single or dual are up to you, no difference as far as function goes.

Air intakes are available, Airaid and K&N are the more popular ones. I had an Airaid CAI (300-175), and it was just too loud, and not in a good way. Went back to the stock airbox with a drop in K&N filter, paired with an Airaid Modular Intake Tube for a smoother air flow.

Nothing that you do to your truck will improve mpg's, except to watch your driving habits.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
55 Posts
From what I have read mpg gains are promised by the chip makers but when I read reviews they mostly say no or little gain. I would start by checking your tire pressure. Most tires are under inflated. What are your driving habits? I own a Prius and you would be surprised the number of people that will pass you to get to that red light first. Lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Flowmaster 40 series single exhaust on my 4.7 with the resonater removed. It has a very nice aggressive sound

1 - 6 of 6 Posts