Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just signed up for the forum because I have seen a lot of good information posted that helped me.
Just this last weekend I changed the control arm bushings and ball joints, both upper and lower, on my 2002 Dakota. This took me quite a few hours mostly due to the corrosion from the truck that originated in OH.
My truck only has 122k miles on it but the ball joints had no lubrication and in-fact rattled when I took them out. Quite a job considering you have to drill out the original factory ball joints and then punch them out to get them removed. To do the job, I found that the control arms needed to be removed which made it a little easier. To get the upper and lower control arms off took some effort because to the rust around the bolts that mounted them in place. Anyway, I ordered the polyurethane bushings from Summitt Racing and the ball joints (with grease fittings) from Autozone. New shocks and an alignment later and my truck feels brand new!! I love it and the squeaking and clunking have disappeared. I can do a step by step on the bushing removal from the control arms if anyone wants to know.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome!!! and yeah a write up/how-to would be awesome, need to do the exact same thing to my truck and any help will be MUCH appreciated!!

Glad to have you with us!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us.

That is a big job but I'm sure it feels much better now. Congrats. Reps for DIY.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Upper control arm bushing installation

I am trying to replace the upper control arm bushings on my 1997 2WD Dakota. Anyone have any advice on how to get them in? The BFH and bench vise are not doing the trick. UGH!!!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I am trying to replace the upper control arm bushings on my 1997 2WD Dakota. Anyone have any advice on how to get them in? The BFH and bench vise are not doing the trick. UGH!!!
you should start your own "New Member" thread and then post your question in the proper section. by the way, welcome :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts