Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I started my post in the wrong place; for computer mods. What I actually have is the wrong computer in my truck. So, I ordered a new one online that will be flashed to match my truck exactly.

I figured it was the wrong pcm because of 2 codes I had that were for equipment not on my truck.

So in short you can't just buy a junkyard computer and have it work right....especially if you have to get emissions checked in your area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello everyone, new member, ol wrencher.

So I got this 98 Dodge dakota of very good deal, but has issues. It had a new, well junkyard motor, trans, PCM, radiator,compressor, rear put in before I got it. There was a language barrier from the previous owner, but I think he just got tired of the issues. Oh yeah, 250,000+ odo

So at first, I only had 2 codes:

P1491
P1495

One for radiator relay, the other for leak detection pump. I swap the rad relay in the PDC and makes no difference. There is no leak detection pump on the vehicle. IDK if it was supposed to or not, but I also see no place to hook it up where it would supposed to be if it were supposed to have one.
I'm confused about the radiator relay, because the fan is thermostatic type, not electric.

I have read and researched much that the PCM should be flashed or programmed for each specific vehicle by the vin and current ODO reading.

I have found places to get PCM flashed and plug and play for ~$200. So I'm wandering if there's a better way to tell what's going on here, if anyone knows if this particular make model should have this leak detection pump, and rad relay?

Oh yeah, I tried clearing the codes with a scanner at advance auto, and they came right back. After driving for a little while, some other codes popped up for transmission and canister purge solenoid.

Well, money is tight and $200 just to find out what else is wrong with the ol rag seems kind o steep. So as is she runs, and that's worth something....but I have to deal with emissions in my area and nothing will pass with a CEL of any kind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a list of the other codes I got.
P1491
>> P1495
>> P1765
>> P0443
>> P0753

The 1765&0753 are transmission solenoid or transducer codes

What I can tell, the codes with a 1xxx are dodge specific codes, if it has 0xxx it is of the obdii nature, which I believe those codes may be repetitive of one and other.

So the 1765 and 0753 may be for the same thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I thought I would give everyone an update that might help somebody down the road. I got the new PCM installed and that cleared all of the previous codes, and now my overdrive works!
Now, the bad news is I got a new code p0443 which is for a solenoid purge valve. So I replaced the solenoid; it's a cheap $30 part, cleared the code, but it came right back.

Also, while I was testing the solenoid with multimeter the engine starts going crazy. Wide open throttle, erratic idling, tap the gas and it goes wide open, have to turn key off to stop it.
So my assumption is there is a short wire somewhere I may have jumbled it while testing.
I have read of fuse for overhead console causing this and sure enough mine was blown. I changed it but the problem still persists. Oh yeah, there was also a write up for a cut wire for like the seatbelt under the driver seat. Well, yeah, mine was pinched under the bolt that holds the driver seat closest to the door. So I taped that up also. But the code is still there, so I will check those other wires for the throttle position sensor, map sensor and idle control valve sensor, later when it's not so cold and windy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought I would give a little update and close out this topic. So after having the p0443 code and I fixed the seatbelt wire and console fuse, the code did not go away by itself. Oh and I replaced that purge solenoid...not sure if it was bad or not? Well, the code didn't go away o. It's own, but I used the free scan tool at advanced auto and cleared it. I've put around 120 miles on it since then and the code has not come back. I also had the emissions inspection done and it passed no problems...I still took it to one of the shady places I know so to not get harassed about every other thing wrong with the truck.

So, for future readers with the p0443 code, I would recommend checking that console fuse and possibly pinched seatbelt wire. Use the scan tool to clear the code. Maybe replace the solenoid...I'm not sure that was my problem, but I did it anyways and it's fixed now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, I started my post in the wrong place; for computer mods. What I actually have is the wrong computer in my truck. So, I ordered a new one online that will be flashed to match my truck exactly.

I figured it was the wrong pcm because of 2 codes I had that were for equipment not on my truck.

So in short you can't just buy a junkyard computer and have it work right....especially if you have to get emissions checked in your area.
You can buy a computer from a wrecker, but you need to match the part numbers. I have a
JTEC controller from a wrecker in my dakota it has been fine since i replaced it a year ago.
i googled the part number came up with this its for a 97 but this site has the p/n as there could be more than one p/n that works due to reflashing and tsb's this is what i did. but be careful JTEC's are year specific i am suggesting this so if you go to a wrecker you take the part number of your computer, any flashed p/n's and maybe one from the site i am linking that way you have a better chance of matching up JTEC that will workhttp://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/MODULE-Powertrain-Control/4555092/R5278313AB.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.