Dakota Forumz banner

New Dakota (to me)

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Moparmaiden 
#1 ·
Hi all! I have just inherited a 87 Dakota short bed with the 2.2 backed with a 5 speed manual, It has the Holly 2 barrel. The truck sat for years started up and ran for about 10 miles then sat for another 5 months on my grandpas farm. I have it now and I've drove roughly 150 miles so far both in town and hwy over the last week. A few things, it almost always has high idle even after fully warm. I just took it on its longest hwy drive today and it was doings its normal high idle thing but when I got back into town is idled very low missing slightly. I kept my foot on the gas at stop lights because I was afraid it might die. I've done a few basic needed repairs. Pressure wash the engine bay, changed my spark plugs and replaced my wipers. I tried to check for vacuum leaks using brake clean to see if I could get the engine to rpm kick up but had no luck. The plugs did fix the miss under 3/4 + throttle. Don't know if I should dive into rebuilding the carb and sourcing a kit or if there is further simple testing I can do.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Mike

#2 ·
Hi all! I have just inherited a 87 Dakota short bed with the 2.2 backed with a 5 speed manual, It has the Holly 2 barrel. The truck sat for years started up and ran for about 10 miles then sat for another 5 months on my grandpas farm. I have it now and I've drove roughly 150 miles so far both in town and hwy over the last week. A few things, it almost always has high idle even after fully warm. I just took it on its longest hwy drive today and it was doings its normal high idle thing but when I got back into town is idled very low missing slightly. I kept my foot on the gas at stop lights because I was afraid it might die. I've done a few basic needed repairs. Pressure wash the engine bay, changed my spark plugs and replaced my wipers. I tried to check for vacuum leaks using brake clean to see if I could get the engine to rpm kick up but had no luck. The plugs did fix the miss under 3/4 + throttle. Don't know if I should dive into rebuilding the carb and sourcing a kit or if there is further simple testing I can do.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Mike
Sounds to me like your choke is not working properly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.