Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2002 dodge Dakota sport 5.9l 4X4, and the things a beast. The only issue I'm having the vent control knob doesn't do a damn thing, I only.get air out of defrost. Looking for a gurus help, I'm thinking some sort of blend door actuator, but before I tear the dash apart I want some input

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
847 Posts
What is not working is the mode door actuator. The blend door regulates temperature by blending air coming through ac evaporator and the heater core. According to my manual, there are three actuators - mode door, blend door, and recirculation door. In 2004 (2003?) they added a separate actuator for defrost.
The mode door actuator can be accessed by removing what the manual in the heater/ac section calls the 'silencer panel', but that panel name is not found in the body/interior section. I think they mean the steering column opening cover. There's a good video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDw_AxX7e3c, where Eric is working on a 2003 full size Ram HVAC box (it has four actuators). At 30:00 minutes on the video you can see all four actuators (the recirc actuator is almost hidden), and mode door actuator is on the far left. I think the Dakota HVAC box is very similar to this.
The actuators have two-wire connectors, and the controller just reverses polarity to determine which way to move the door. You can probably check whether the actuator is bad by disconnecting the connector and applying 12v to the actuator, grounding the other terminal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts