Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I bought my truck, I thought it was a bit loud. When I cleaned it up and replaced the brakes a couple of weeks ago, I learned why. The previous owner ran a y-pipe from the cat with duals out the back with no muffler. The driver side pipe was mounted too close to the spare and was beginning to sag while the passenger side pipe was bent and making contact with the bumper.:(

So, I consulted my local muffler shop and had this mess fixed. They fixed an exhaust leak forward of the cat that I couldn't hear, mounted a single inlet/dual outlet Flowmaster 40 series just after the cat, and ran the new duals out behind the rear wheels (I wanted it that way to suit my future roll pan mod;)). It sounds and looks much better now (to me anyway).:)

I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
yes pics!!! i have that same muffler on mine, but its been there for awhile, first owner put it on.

im gonna be getting headers and a new muffler soon too and all new pipes as the tips on mine have some rust spots and holes

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wonder if the cat had been replaced before also?... if anybody is doing an exhaust, a high flow cat should be in order.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't believe you.....

Pics or it didn't happen!!!! LOL
LOL! What she said! :D ;)
I thought this might happen. Tomorrow.:)

I wonder if the cat had been replaced before also?... if anybody is doing an exhaust, a high flow cat should be in order.
I'm not sure as I don't really know what the OEM cat looks like. I may eventually upgrade to a Spintech system with high flow cats, but for now, I just wanted to tone it down a bit.:)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pictures as Requested

I had a couple of things I anted to accomplish today. One of them was to paint my new exhaust system. I took some pictures once I finished.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sound Clip

This is an attempt at something new for me. If it doesn't work, my apologies. I made a brief movie with sound of my truck idling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine came with a flowmaster muffler, si/so. not sure what series but it sounds allright. That was the only upgrade done to the truck when I bought it. When I redo my exhaust Im just going to have the cat removed. It still had the stock tail pipe, it had alot of rubber melted to it so I got bored one day and cut the tail pipe off about 2 inches from the muffler, it made a big difference, it has a very nice rumble now and is a little bit louder. This is the setup I want, it sounds pretty nice, im going to dump it under the truck instead of out the side, and run 3 inch pipe from the headers to the y pipe, and 3 inch y pipe to the muffler. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olwwHi69rh4

1 - 9 of 9 Posts