Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
What's up people? I'm Jason from Valdosta, GA. I've had this Dakota for close to a year now. 2000 SLT 2WD with the 4.7L. Bought it for $1200 from an elderly woman.

So far I have only done a programmer, exhaust, and projectors. Since I recently sold the street truck I will be investing into this instead. I will start a build thread as soon as I begin working on it. It will be coming off the M/Ts soon and back on street tires.

It will be my daily still, so I'll be aiming for only about 450hp. I may be doing a 5.9L swap to obtain this. I heard the 5.7 hemi is a nightmare on wiring, but if I can get a donor truck/car I may go that route anyways. I want to 5spd swap, but for my wife's sake of maybe needing to drive it... built auto if I can't teach her to drive a standard.

I'll poke around the forums and do some research to decide the route I want to take.

Registered
Welcome to the forums Jason! That's a clean truck all ready, can't wait to see what you do to it! The tires look great on it (I need to get something similar once I level mine), but I'm sure the street tires will look good too. What do you have planned aesthetically? Gonna lift it or get rid of some chrome? What exhaust do you have on it?

The 4.7 is more than enough power for me personally, but from my experience with 5.7's I think you'll be more than happy with it if you can figure out the wiring. It feels like driving a Cummins compared to a V6 馃槀馃槀馃槀 However I think with some good mods you could get your 4.7 up to 450hp without too much trouble, it's not too high a number comparatively.

Out of curiosity, what was your old street truck?

Registered
Welcome Jason. Great looking Dakota. Back in 2001 I purchased a new 5.9 Ram Off Road in that same color combination. Love it. I'll be watching for your build. Personally I in the beginning stages of a 5.7 swap into my 01 Dakota CC.

Dynamo

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forums Jason! That's a clean truck all ready, can't wait to see what you do to it! The tires look great on it (I need to get something similar once I level mine), but I'm sure the street tires will look good too. What do you have planned aesthetically? Gonna lift it or get rid of some chrome? What exhaust do you have on it?

The 4.7 is more than enough power for me personally, but from my experience with 5.7's I think you'll be more than happy with it if you can figure out the wiring. It feels like driving a Cummins compared to a V6 馃槀馃槀馃槀 However I think with some good mods you could get your 4.7 up to 450hp without too much trouble, it's not too high a number comparatively.

Out of curiosity, what was your old street truck?

Yeah I'm very good with wiring. I use to do a lot of it for GM. So it may be something I end up tackling.

I plan to get rid of the chrome for sure. Maybe drop it down about 2 or 3 inches. Matching taillights for the projectors. I'll be buying a 2nd Gen ram to use for an offroad rig later on. Definitely repaint. The previous repaint from 4 years ago was a hack job honestly. Its just hard to tell from a distance.

I owned a '95 Mighty Max. It was really clean. I dropped it 4 inches on some negative offset old school Eagles with a bed exit. I had previously rebuilt the 4G64 in it and was going to V8 swap, but decided to put the money elsewhere. I spent a year rebuilding the entire truck.

Thank you everyone!

Registered
Welcome bro! Lift it don鈥檛 drop it! Ha! I b keeping an eye out for your build.....

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome bro! Lift it don鈥檛 drop it! Ha! I b keeping an eye out for your build.....
Well it's a 2wd. If I can find a good deal on a 4wd frame (I know where one is at I could get for free really) I may go that route. But I really just want another 2nd Gen Ram for a trail/mud pig.

Me and my buddy have his S10 SAS, but not really wanting to invest all that time on this for that lol.

Registered
I hear yeah. I鈥檓 addicted to upgrades on my truck!!! So glad eBay and Amazon have next day shipping!!! Lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts