Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I'm new to this site, but I'm pretty active over on the ChargerZ side. I'm shopping around for a Dakota and looking for some insight from the folks here.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Hey man! Good to see you over here too. I'll be glad to help. I did a lot of looking around before I got my Dakota.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is the one I'm currently scoping out. What do you guys think?

http://www.carlgregorychryslerdodge...e-Dakota-7eecb09c0a0a006400eee83953d869cc.htm

It has some rough spots, but it is around what I'm looking to spend. I'd hoped to find a black R/T to have a matched pair.:) I may try to drive it tomorrow. I was able to look at it on the lot without being swarmed. Based on my research on KBB, I'm pretty sure they paid around 2k on a trade in.

Jerry: You"ll notice right away that it is not Intense Blue as advertised. It is actually Deep Amethyst (which I like). I am going to check the OEM paint code when I drive it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
yeah i would have liked a black r/t as well but just having an r/t is cool enough.

one thing i noticed in my search for a dakota of that gen (97-04) is that the drivers seat seems to give out, looses its cushioning, thats the first thing you will notice when you get in. those dont look too bad though, i've seen much worse. and if you want to tow anything i suggest getting a real trailer hitch that bolts up tot he frame. the one on the bumper wont pull much over 2k pounds, if that at all

and yeah it has some rough spots but so did mine and i paid 3 grand more for it so its all good. it took me almost 4 years to find the right dakota LOL

and i like the deep amethyst as well!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Welcome to the Dakota side of the Z, glad to have you join us over here, too! Cool truck you're looking at and with very low mileage at that! I have to agree with two of Jerry's points. We had a '97 Dakota sport and the driver's seat had no cushion left and you'll definitely want something besides the bumper pull if you're going to tow much, but good luck and be sure to keep us posted! :)

- Cajun

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys. I stopped by the dealer last night but it was too late to take a test drive. I'm supposed to get a call this morning to see if they will budge on the price, if not I will have to keep looking. It appears as though it had the fender flares at some point and those were removed when the previous owner discovered the rust underneath and were not replaced. There is significant rust over the top of both rear wheel wells that seems to be confined to an area that would have been hidden by the flares (I read about this in another thread). The paint is fading in several other places. I still need to check under the hood, get a close look inside and drive it. I told the salesman about the color; he was nice but didn't know much about the truck.

I really like it, it will serve my needs, and I feel it has a bunch of potential but I won't over pay for it. I'll keep y'all posted.:)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
yeah im afraid to look under my fender flares :eek:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spoke with the sales manager today. They'll sell me the truck for $3200 (includes tax and tags). I told him I'd think about it over the weekend. What do you guys think? I still need to drive it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I agree, you still need to drive it and check it out for yourself, but I have to say, that seems like a pretty good deal to me. I still can't get over the mileage, previous owner must not have driven much, but if it were me, I'd snatch that one up in a hurry! Do they have any maintenance info on it?

- Cajun

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
i say go for it, their website says 5 grand

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I was all set to go drive it and buy it on Wednesday, but they sold it on Saturday.:(

The search continues...:)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Well, I was all set to go drive it and buy it on Wednesday, but they sold it on Saturday.:(

The search continues...:)
dang that sucks man, good luck, you will find one!!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dang that sucks man, good luck, you will find one!!
Yep. I think the message is to seek what I was originally looking for: a Black R/T.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dude just be patient. I thoroughly ticked my wife off. It took me the biggest part of 3 months to find one and I think it is gonna pay off. Just be sure the 3.9 will be enough for what you need, all that I've dealt with were under powered. But they are as reliable as the sun though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts