Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago my parking lights decided they wanted to stay on after turn the switch off and removing the key. I do have the auto-off headlights but I turn them off with the switch. I have checked fuses and relays by changing them out with others with no luck. I purchased a new headlight switch thinking I may have a contact issue. After connecting the new switch the parking lights went out but came back on about 30 minutes later. I'm wondering if this might be a motherboard issue or simply an electrical problem (short), all other lights work properly. I have not traced the wires back to the battery yet and hoping I won't have to do that. Has anyone dealt with this issue before?
Thank you in advance
Chris G

·
Registered
634 Posts
When you refer to parking lights, are you including both front and rear? By the wiring diagrams, they are wired together (left front with left rear and right front with right rear) and are powered by fuse 43 (left) and 44 (right). These two fuses are powered by the park lamp relay in the Integrated Power Module under the hood. This relay is controlled by the Front Control Module (FCM) which is mounted on the front of the Integrated Power Module.

Following is quoted from the Factory Service Manual regarding parking lamps:

"The EMIC [Electro Mechanical Instrument Cluster] monitors a hard wired multiplex input from the headlamp switch, then sends the appropriate electronic headlamp switch status messages to the FCM over the CAN data bus. The FCM responds to these messages by energizing or de-energizing the park lamp relay. When the park lamp relay is energized, it provides battery voltage from a fuse in the PDC [Power Distribution Center] through a park lamp relay output circuit to the appropriate lamp bulbs. The FCM provides a battery saver (load shedding) feature for the park lamps, which will turn these lamps off if they are left on for more than about eight minutes with the ignition switch in the Lock position. The EMIC provides a fail-safe feature for the park lamps, which will send an electronic message to the FCM to turn these lamps on automatically if it detects no input from the headlamp switch. (bold italics added)"

All that to suggest that the problem may be in the Front Control Module or in the Instrument Cluster. To totally isolate it you would probably need a dealer or a shop with a Factory Scan Tool or equivalent to troubleshoot the issue. In the meantime, popping out the park lamp relay should keep the lights out (don't forget to put it back in if driving at night!).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you refer to parking lights, are you including both front and rear? By the wiring diagrams, they are wired together (left front with left rear and right front with right rear) and are powered by fuse 43 (left) and 44 (right). These two fuses are powered by the park lamp relay in the Integrated Power Module under the hood. This relay is controlled by the Front Control Module (FCM) which is mounted on the front of the Integrated Power Module.

Following is quoted from the Factory Service Manual regarding parking lamps:

"The EMIC [Electro Mechanical Instrument Cluster] monitors a hard wired multiplex input from the headlamp switch, then sends the appropriate electronic headlamp switch status messages to the FCM over the CAN data bus. The FCM responds to these messages by energizing or de-energizing the park lamp relay. When the park lamp relay is energized, it provides battery voltage from a fuse in the PDC [Power Distribution Center] through a park lamp relay output circuit to the appropriate lamp bulbs. The FCM provides a battery saver (load shedding) feature for the park lamps, which will turn these lamps off if they are left on for more than about eight minutes with the ignition switch in the Lock position. The EMIC provides a fail-safe feature for the park lamps, which will send an electronic message to the FCM to turn these lamps on automatically if it detects no input from the headlamp switch. (bold italics added)"

All that to suggest that the problem may be in the Front Control Module or in the Instrument Cluster. To totally isolate it you would probably need a dealer or a shop with a Factory Scan Tool or equivalent to troubleshoot the issue. In the meantime, popping out the park lamp relay should keep the lights out (don't forget to put it back in if driving at night!).
Thank you, I will look into the FCM and get back to you with an answer this weekend. Yes, it is both front and rear lights. There are two relays according to the diagram on the inside cover of the IPM.
Thank you again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts