Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I just joined this group. I am on my second Dakota, a 2003 club cab SLT 4WD with the 4.7 L V8 and AT. My first Dakota was a '99 V6 which I loved until the company I work for moved many miles away and I needed 4WD for long winter commutes. My "new" truck is everything I wanted but it does have a curious behavior. Sometimes after sitting overnight it seems to "work" really hard for about the first mile. Its almost like there's a governor on the engine. At 2000 RPMs it sounds like its turning twice as fast. It makes a lot of engine noise (like its working hard) and doesn't have much acceleration or peddle response. It feels like I feel first thing in the morning - old and stiff. By the time I've driven the first mile this settles out, the noise level returns to a normal engine sound, I have plenty of power, and its totally perfect the rest of the day. I had my mechanic give it a general inspection and he found it to be in great condition. He did not get to experience the above described behavior. It always starts immediately and idles smoothly. Currently, with mixed 20% city/ 80% highway driving I'm averaging about 13 MPG. Any thoughts, observations or history on this issue will be most gratefully appreciated! Thanks very much! Ken

·
Banned
2,418 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Glad to have you here, I hope you enjoy the board! I can't help you either but RamTech would be the one who could! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

Hi!

It is very nice of you both to welcome me to the group. My dad was always a Ford truck guy and my first truck (a long - long time ago) was a mid 60's Ford F100 that I ultimately put a 289 V8 into. Well I sold that truck and years went by, then a friend of mine bought a 1999 or 2000 (brand new) Dodge 2500 diesel which was a wonderful truck. Then in 2003 he bought another new 2500 diesel and it was even better. That's when I knew I wanted a truck again and I wanted a Dodge. My size is definitely Dakota size. Even my "new" 2003 club cab looks like a match-box next to my friend's truck - but it is exactly the right size for me. I'm an electronic - mechanical engineer working for a medical laser company in Colorado Springs, CO and I look forward to being active in this group. Thanks again for the warm welcome. Ken

·
Registered
250 Posts
That sounds like a clutch fan to me. If you want your mechanic to see what it's doing, leave it at his shop overnight so he can cold start the engine and confirm if it's a clutch fan problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much. I did a simple check first thing one morning before I started to see if the fan would spin freely and it did. It felt like a normal fan coupler to me. Perhaps that is not a sufficient test. I will certainly run this thought by my mechanic. Thanks for your consideration to respond. Warm regards, Ken

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome!!

i kind of have the same issue, in the morning when my truck is cold and not warmed up enough, it takes forever for it to go into third. it revs up if i step on it but doesn't go any faster, then after it hits around 4000 it finally goes into third. after that it's fine. i have a cold air intake, maybe that has something to do with it.

let us know what you find out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"fan"noise follow-up

Greetings, Based on the analysis offered by RamTech I did some more web searching and found the following text (discussion) which seems to exactly describe my situation and confirm RamTech's opinion. I'm assuming it is acceptable to post this text for everyone's benefit because I found it on a public domain site (I believe). Regards, Ken

TEXT FOLLOWS:
Oct 16, 2005 (7:21 am)

I came to this site looking for info on "Engine Cooling Fan Noise" and it is obvious this is something many are familiar with. On my 2004 Dakota with 4.7 engine with 5 speed automatic transmission there are two conditions that this happens under:

1. About 2 of 10 times after startup in the morning when I put it in gear and drive away there is a loud engine roar and the transmission is not fully engaging. I always allow at least one minute of warmup before driving. This only lasts for 10-20 seconds before stopping and all is quiet and well again.

2. I live in Colorado and when I get above 10,000 feet in elevation the same roaring will suddenly begin and go on until I get below about 9,000 feet. It may last for hours under these conditions. It is very loud and very annoying.

I told my local dealer about all this and here is what they provided me with from their own Dodge Service website: (https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/tsb/enUS/080022dc80bbf413.htm:

"Some vehicles may exhibit an engine cooling fan "roar" noise. This noise is created by a large cooling fan that is required to provide optimum cooling for low vehicle speed operation in hot weather conditions and for heavy trailer towing. Since the large cooling fan is unnecessary in most operating conditions, these vehicles are also equipped with vicsous cooling fan drives that allow the fan to operate at variable speeds based upon temperature loads. The viscous fan drive will engage the fan for maximum cooling when temperatures are high and allow the fan to operate at slower speeds when temperatures are low. In addition, at engine start-up, the viscous fan drive engages the fan for maximum cooling until the fluid in the viscous clutch can dissipate out of the clutch drive grooves allowing the fan to operate at a slower speed.

Because of the viscous fan drive, the noise may occur during high temperature conditions and for the first 1-2 minutes of operation. Due to the roar of the fan, customers may also complain of a PERCEIVED loss of power, automatic transmission slippage, or that the transmission is staying into a low gear too long (delayed upshift).

Customers concerned about this noise should be advised that this conditions is norman and no repair attempts should be made. Policy: Information Only". Dated 07-05-98

·
Registered
262 Posts
Welcome to Dakota ForumZ, glad to have you! Some helpful info there, thanks for posting that and I hope you enjoy the site! :)

- Cajun

1 - 10 of 10 Posts