Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
never posted before but i figure it’s worth a shot. i have a 2002 dakota 3.9 v6 2wd with an automatic transmission. last week when i tried to start it i got a no bus code. the engine would crank but it wouldn’t stay on so i ended up replacing the pcm and the idle air control valve. the truck is now running but now it won’t shift out of 1st gear when i drive it no matter how much i push on the pedal. any suggestions on what to check next? i was told the crank sensor could be an issue but i took it out and the wiring wasn’t frayed.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If the motor is running, the crank sensor is probably OK; the ECU uses the crank sensor to generate ignition pulses, and also uses it to tell the ECU that the motor is spinning, which it then allows it to turn on the coil, the fuel pump, the injectors, etc.

There's a cable between the gearshift and the transmission - I'd be checking the cable, both ends, to make sure it's not disconnected.

Unless it's a manual; then nothing under the hood affects that; you need to check your clutch linkage. Might have accidently knocked the hose off, causing it to drain.

You HAVE checked fluid level (transmission on auto, transmission and clutch on manual), right?

RwP

1 - 2 of 2 Posts