Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I have used forums and I hope people will forgive me if I make mistakes.My days of high performance are behind me and my quest now is to squeeze every mile out of a gallon of fuel that I can.I have owned three Dakotas to date.The one I have now is a 2007 with a 3.7 auto clubcab.I like it very much but it could be better on fuel.Hopefully I will be able to help others as I experiment with this truck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once I figure out the forums and posting I should be ok.I worked in the trade for 30 years and now I have a simpler job maintaining tractors and lawn equipment at a cemetery.Better benefits as well.My original post was supposed to be in the newbie forum so thanks for finding me and for the welcome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Wildbeast Howdy.LOL thought my post was going to newbie forum also. Learning the process is as easy as rolling of a log, assuming the log is on level ground. I just joined this one, belong to a sister link, and there is much help there and here. Our 89 3.9 averages 20 mpg constantly which I don't consider bad for an old 4x4. I had a 2004 V-8 Dak that could get upwards of 23 mpg with the gate down, speed control set on 64. Never got better than 13 in town. I did no mods on that truck, unfortunately three deer the first time, and a drunk the second time persuaded me to give that truck up, it just was not right after the drunk. 94 is a 318, tires at factory set, use fuel conditioner all the time. It is loaded with about 500 lb of tools and equipment and averages 15-18 mpg overall. Before it was loaded and I was getting it road worthy it was averaging 18 to 20, except when the upper hose started leaking and the cpu went into closed loop, rofl it got 9.6 on that tank. I run M-1 and am changing filters every 500 miles since the gunk is flushing off of the valve cover baffle, so its circulationg and being caught. Some has flushed off the o.pump pressure has gotten better in just 1500 miles. ( three filters and one oil change allready). I also am running one step hotter plugs for the torque I want to pull hills with the tool load. ( based that on reading the plugs, six of em were burning cool two were normal), Im sure you understand that one based on your 30 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My previous 99 managed to get 24 mpg on a trip up north hauling a 14 foot aluminum boat.It was a 3.9 V6 with a roller timing chain,Accell coil,Bosch plus 4 platinum plugs,cold air intake and a Jet chip.That is in Canadian gallons on a four lane highway at 65 mph on cruise.My 2007 with a 3.7 with no modifications did the same trip at 28 mpg.I am trying to get over 30.Also using midgrade fuel with no ethanol.Wildebeast

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, glad to have you join us! Any pics of your truck? Are you thinking of modding it some to get better MPG's, maybe even a few extra horses? I have a 3.7 in my Ram and usually average 15.6 MPG mixed driving. Could be better, but I'm ok with it. Just wanted to welcome you aboard and I hope you enjoy the site! :)

- Cajun

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes mods are going to be done but for fuel mileage.Up here gas is about 1.20 a litre.Multiply that by 4 and that is roughly a US gallon.No pics it is all stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts