Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.5 liter 4 cylinder. Guy thinks it's got a cracked block. I haven't picked up the truck yet..body is immaculate..anyway should I look for another motor how much will I spend getting a new motor vs doing a head job the radiator is clean as a whistle has me thinking he doesnt know what's wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Head gaskets are more prone to failure than blocks, yes. But I'd plan on pulling the block and getting it magnafluxed / sonic tested before I said it WASN'T cracked. (Eyeball may tell you once the head is off).

Before you do much else on your own, I'll get out my soap box and suggest (most strongly!) that you pick up the Chrysler factory service manual for your 1989 Dakota. It'll even have how to rebuild the 2.5 in it, plus how to rebuild the transmission. It DOES assume you're at a dealership with availability of Special Tool 1234A to install the spark plugs. The Haynes manuals used to be nice in that they'd say "Use Special Tool 1234A, but if you don't have it, a wombat and two skunks can do the job" ... :ROFLMAO: But for electrical, Haynes and Chilton's aren't even good toilet paper. May want to check out AllData and 1Mitchell's DIY pages for your truck too; they're paid, but well worth it for reference IMO.

RwP

·
Registered
39 Posts
What was the cracked block comment based on.
Water in oil? Condensation out the pipe? Pressure in the cooling system?
If you have milk for oil you may very well have a bad head gasket. Same for the other items.
If it were me I would pull the head and take a very good look at the gasket. If you find where it has a bad spot that is most likely your problem.
If your engine is high mileage however then replace the Long block making sure you replace water pump etc at the same time.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep antifreeze in oil..its coming out the exhaust when running and there is alot of miles on it..when u say long block you mean the whole motor right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes lower block and head and internal parts.
Depending on the truck and your need to keep it.
You could also look for a low mileage salvage motor for replacement.
I would really look at taking that head off and inspecting the gasket.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts