Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a 2000 dakota r/t, rwd, 5.2 liter, ext. cab that looks good. But it has 225,000 miles. I think I can get it for $2000. Would that be a good deal?

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
755 Posts
The R/T came only with a 5.9L as far as I know. If it has a 5.2L, the engine has been swapped out. That aside, I'd find a reliable mechanic who has worked on Dakotas and Durangos and Ram pickups and pay him to do a thorough checkout on every system of this truck -- engine, transmission, suspension, drive line, etc. It won't be perfect, but he/she will be able to tell you what it needs, and about how much it will cost. Then you can make an informed decision on whether you want to buy it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I could be wrong, but my initial gut reaction is that two grand is too much for a twenty one year old pick up with two and a quarter on it.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
For my twelve cents worth (was 2 cents, but inflation ... )

This will depend on the service history (oil, filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and transmission fluid, filter and adjustments) on the truck, the state of the frame, how good the paint is, is it rust free or just minor surface patina, etc.

!I! would not pay $2K for a truck that old without extenuating circumstances (Shelby, special model, etc.)

Can you do a complete brake, steering, and suspension rebuild with the cash left over from the purchase? Also, can you do a full tune up (ALL filters, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, Mopar PCV valve, etc.) and still have cash left over? If not, I'd be a bit suspicious of it at that price.

OTOH, used vehicle prices have shot up due to the shortage of new vehicles; I may just be too cheap for my own good not thinking it'd be worth $2K.

YOU have to make that decision on if it's worth it to you.

RwP

·
Registered
160 Posts
Who ever bought it did you a favor--now you don't have to struggle with a decision.
It wasn't the age of the truck that would have bothered me, it was the miles. I know that now-a-days engines & transmissions are way better & last a lot longer than they did when I was young, but 225 is a lot of use.
Be patient (sadly, something I was never good at) & keep your eyes open & something will come up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who ever bought it did you a favor--now you don't have to struggle with a decision.
It wasn't the age of the truck that would have bothered me, it was the miles. I know that now-a-days engines & transmissions are way better & last a lot longer than they did when I was young, but 225 is a lot of use.
Be patient (sadly, something I was never good at) & keep your eyes open & something will come up.
Yes, you are right. It was a close call.
At 73 I remember cars being finished at 100,000. One could buy them all day for $50.00.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Yes, you are right. It was a close call.
At 73 I remember cars being finished at 100,000. One could buy them all day for $50.00.
Or as low as $25 when I was a kid in the 70's (Was more fun being 20 in the 70's, than it looks like it will be being 70 in the 20's!)

First car I bought? $150, then an additional $28 for a replacement generator.

Learned a LOT on that 1963 Biscayne.

Kind of wish some days I still had it.

Alas, some old geezer in a Dart didn't stop until he was just about into the back seat of the Chevy ...

RwP

·
Registered
19 Posts
oldmarine is correct, Dakota R/Ts only came with 5.9 liter V8s. It was either a misprint in the ad, or the engine was swapped. Dakota R/Ts are nice & most are pretty well kept. You can find one with much lower mileage but one worth buying is going to be around $4 to 7 grand. They are not easy to get. I keep looking for one, but I like regular cabs myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts