Dakota Forumz banner

newbie here needing help deciding

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  00lukeduran00 
#1 ·
I've found a 2000 dakota r/t, rwd, 5.2 liter, ext. cab that looks good. But it has 225,000 miles. I think I can get it for $2000. Would that be a good deal?

#2 ·
The R/T came only with a 5.9L as far as I know. If it has a 5.2L, the engine has been swapped out. That aside, I'd find a reliable mechanic who has worked on Dakotas and Durangos and Ram pickups and pay him to do a thorough checkout on every system of this truck -- engine, transmission, suspension, drive line, etc. It won't be perfect, but he/she will be able to tell you what it needs, and about how much it will cost. Then you can make an informed decision on whether you want to buy it.

#6 ·
For my twelve cents worth (was 2 cents, but inflation ... )

This will depend on the service history (oil, filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and transmission fluid, filter and adjustments) on the truck, the state of the frame, how good the paint is, is it rust free or just minor surface patina, etc.

!I! would not pay $2K for a truck that old without extenuating circumstances (Shelby, special model, etc.)

Can you do a complete brake, steering, and suspension rebuild with the cash left over from the purchase? Also, can you do a full tune up (ALL filters, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, Mopar PCV valve, etc.) and still have cash left over? If not, I'd be a bit suspicious of it at that price.

OTOH, used vehicle prices have shot up due to the shortage of new vehicles; I may just be too cheap for my own good not thinking it'd be worth $2K.

YOU have to make that decision on if it's worth it to you.

RwP

#9 ·
Who ever bought it did you a favor--now you don't have to struggle with a decision.
It wasn't the age of the truck that would have bothered me, it was the miles. I know that now-a-days engines & transmissions are way better & last a lot longer than they did when I was young, but 225 is a lot of use.
Be patient (sadly, something I was never good at) & keep your eyes open & something will come up.

#10 ·
Who ever bought it did you a favor--now you don't have to struggle with a decision.
It wasn't the age of the truck that would have bothered me, it was the miles. I know that now-a-days engines & transmissions are way better & last a lot longer than they did when I was young, but 225 is a lot of use.
Be patient (sadly, something I was never good at) & keep your eyes open & something will come up.
Yes, you are right. It was a close call.
At 73 I remember cars being finished at 100,000. One could buy them all day for $50.00.

#12 ·
oldmarine is correct, Dakota R/Ts only came with 5.9 liter V8s. It was either a misprint in the ad, or the engine was swapped. Dakota R/Ts are nice & most are pretty well kept. You can find one with much lower mileage but one worth buying is going to be around $4 to 7 grand. They are not easy to get. I keep looking for one, but I like regular cabs myself.

#17 ·
I would personally stay away from all of them, unless they are not "hacked up". The regular cab for $500 looks decent from the picture. I can appreciate someone modifying their vehicles, but you don't know what your getting. Could be done right, but also could be a nightmare, you just don't know. What ever you decide on buying, check them over closely. If you have ANY doubts, move on. Your better off getting one that hasn't been messed with, or only lightly modded. You might pay a little more, but your probably getting a better truck. There are a lot of 2nd gen Dakotas out there. (1997-2004) Don't just settle for one, keep looking until you find one you really like, but that's just me though. P.S. I do kind of like how they made the Durango into a Pick-Up kinda' thing. For $200 bucks, it looks like a good off-road beater.

#18 ·
none of them have check engine and all have under 150,000 miles. Chevy had the avalanche so we nicknamed the Durango the "landslide" we use them as Go-Karts the blue one has 85k .. old man sold it to me .. when he said That he was selling it for 5 I told him 5 grand was not bad and he laughed and said it was a 20 year old truck he is not selling it for 5 grand selling it for $500...SCORE..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.