Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2001 Dakota wouldn't stay running with an associated "no bus" on the odometer. also got all of the idiot lights illuminated and non of the gauges were working. went back several hours later and the truck started but had 3 lights, check engine, Parking brake, and ABS. truck is now in my garage. fuses and battery voltage are ok. does anybody have any experience with this problem?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome to the Z! Glad to have you. when you get a chance, head over to the Newbie Check-in section and say Hi
http://www.dakotaforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

dont quote me on this and i may be way off, but i seem to remember on most cars if the parking brake light is on, the alternator is bad. you can have that checked at an auto zone i believe

·
Registered
250 Posts
A speed sensor won't cause a no bus message. No bus means the cluster has lost PCI communications with the other modules.

·
Registered
830 Posts
2001 Dakota wouldn't stay running with an associated "no bus" on the odometer. also got all of the idiot lights illuminated and non of the gauges were working. went back several hours later and the truck started but had 3 lights, check engine, Parking brake, and ABS. truck is now in my garage. fuses and battery voltage are ok. does anybody have any experience with this problem?
The Dakotas/Rams have a twisted pair CCD bus (CCD = Chyrsler Collision Detection)
that is sourced at the PCM (power train control module), the engine management computer.
This CCD+ and - data link goes to the instrument cluster PCB, with it's own microprocessor
that interprets the signal(s) over the bus and drives the various instrumentation.

No Bus means that the connections could be bad (or loose) or some wiring issue or possibly
some other internal PCM fault. You are really going to need a wiring diagram of the electrical
interconnections as tracing this kind of problem can be complex and time consuming.

There is a diagram of this CCD bus on the ramtruckforums that shows in detail this
bus and some description of the troubleshooting one guy did to resolve his .. "square connector
under the hood " problem, where he unplugged that connector and reseated it, I believe.

The only square connector on mine is a white one inside the PDC next to the relays and fuses,
but I don't know for sure if the CCD bus goes through that connector though.

Mine has a 10a " cluster" fuse inside on the side of the dash , that if you pull it,
none of the guages or odometer will work, but I don't get the no bus indication
and no check engine lite.

·
Registered
4 Posts
same thing happened to me. I went out of town for 2 months, when I returned my 2001 Dakota wouldn't start. Did the ignition thing and it started. Sometime it does and sometimes not. going down the road it tends to miss, like water in the gas. With this ethanol I am not surprised. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I replaced the crank shaft positioning sensor. It still would not start. I unplugged the 3 plugs to the cpu and it started. Now it won't start again. I probably need to clean the contacts on the 3 plugs. My question is what do I use to clean these contacts. Can I use contact cleaner or compressed gas. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
either of those will be fine, alcohol works fine too, isopropyl that is

·
Registered
149 Posts
I find alcohol makes every thing work better, especially after about the fourth drink. Sorry my bad. I know not funny. Just kidding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts