Dakota Forumz banner

No Crank w/ABS Light

3K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  immattj 
#1 ·
So, I did something that turned out to be stupid. Used engine degreaser to clean out the engine a little bit. Sprayed it with water (as directed), and now when I try to start the engine, it won't crank at all.

While I'm cranking, the Brake and ABS lights come on. They stay lit briefly, and then when they turn off, I hear what sounds like a relay clicking in the engine compartment near the brake lines.

I'm not getting any codes, and I haven't found any blown fuses.

Any suggestions while I wait for everything to dry out?

#2 ·
Where all did you spray the degreaser?
Pretty much over everything?
Could any have got down on your starter solenoid & compromised the circuitry within or possibly could some gotten clear down & back at your neutral-park safety switch & have seeped into the connection?

#4 ·
Yeah, that kinda sounds in line with what I figured might have happened. All I really wanted to do was clear away some of the caked on grease so I could get a better idea of where a slight drip was coming from. Looks like it's gonna be a really expensive drip.

#5 ·
Well, you may wind up learning more about the wiring of that Dakota than you did before you douched it down with degreaser.
I am under the impression that it pays to be cautious with that stuff. When I use it it is usually on parts that I have removed & am cleaning off the vehicle.

I am assuming that it was starting okay immediately prior to the degreasing, so a lot of the standard things to check probably don't apply (you know, battery terminals, charge of battery) so I'd be looking at issues that would cause a no-crank-even-though-my-battery-has-voltage situation that could have been damaged by degreaser (starter solenoid or starter motor itself, ignition switch, neutral switch . . .). I am thinking of wires & connectors, but that's just a feeling I have.

When you turn the key to run (not crank) does everything happen like it should? The readings on the dash & such, & does the fuel pump turn on & pressurize? If not, I'd think that maybe that indicates an issue that you created from the ignition switch.

I am not advising you to do this, but with a jumper from hot to the main terminal on your starter, it oughta at least crank over.

#6 · (Edited)
While I'm cranking, the Brake and ABS lights come on. They stay lit briefly, and then when they turn off, I hear what sounds like a relay clicking in the engine compartment near the brake lines.
Well, on mine there is a starter relay located in the under-hood electrical box (which, on mine, is located in the vicinity of the master cylinder & the ABS stuff). Just for the helluvit, I pulled my starter relay, turned my ignition to 'run' to see what all I was supposed to get, & I did get (momentarily) ABS & BRAKE. However, when I hit "crank" (with relay removed) ALL the lights on my instrument panel extinguished.

#7 ·
I was hoping it might dry out and start this morning, but no dice. Gives me everything I would expect (lights, fuel pump, etc.) when I turn it to the Run position, but it just lights up the ABS and Brake lights when I try to crank. I'll give it another few hours, but I think I'm gonna have to defer to the pros on this one. That starter relay might be an issue, but I see the lights only during crank (and very briefly after letting it go back to Run). Thanks for the suggestions, all.

#12 ·
So it turns out that sometimes correlation does not equal causation. In this case, the problem turned out to be a broken starter wire that had been improperly repaired by a previous owner (twisted together and wrapped in electrical tape without even a wire nut to hold things in place}. I'm thinking that the force of the water hose probably knocked it loose - which means it was only a matter of time before it came loose all by itself. And that would have most likely resulted in a fair amount of panic for my teenage son, who's the regular driver.

I also took advantage of the truck being in the shop and had them look at a problem I'd been having with the air conditioning system diverting to the defroster when the truck was accelerating or going up a hill. Turns out it wasn't a major vacuum leak as I had feared. Instead, it was simply a faulty check valve - and now everything is working fine. Well, I mean, other than the air conditioning compressor rattling a bit when it engages. 🙂

#9 · (Edited)
One more thing . . . I know that you said that you hadn't found any blown fuses (and I am not doubting you), but did you actually check them for continuity with an ohm meter, or did you just do a visual?

The two I am thinking about are (on mine) a 50 amp (I think it must be a) circuit breaker labeled "START" in the underhood electrical box and a 10 amp fuse in the in cab fuse box labeled "starter".

At any rate, good luck with this.

#10 ·
A discussion I was following on a different forum got me interested in relays & also made me think your problem.

It kind of sounds like that clicking you were hearing might have been your starter relay (in your under hood electrical box) & due to my curiosity about relays I found this great tutorial

What to Do For a Clicking Noise in a Fuse Box

which includes a troubleshooting guide. If you haven't farmed this job out yet, this tutorial might possibly track your problem down to either the bad wire or bad component that is the source of your no-crank issue.

#11 ·
So, I did something that turned out to be stupid. Used engine degreaser to clean out the engine a little bit. Sprayed it with water (as directed), and now when I try to start the engine, it won't crank at all.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim Auto part

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Wood Gas Motor vehicle Vehicle door
I'm not getting any codes, and I haven't found any blown fuses.

Any suggestions while I wait for everything to dry out?
do you by chance have access to an air compressor with a air nozzle , blow out all your connections let it dry out , everytime I pressure washed my motor always did it while it was running , I never put the water spray directly into any plug, computer, alternator , distributor or anything of that sort , I always keep everything on my motor and the whole underneath cleaned that way , I used Easy-Off oven cleaner and Degreaser is I'm getting ready to paint the whole undercarriage and like has at the same time and I never had any problem with that before of not starting long as I did it that way and takes precautions I use sandwich bags to wrap up connectors and the alternator , I cover up the computer , even the distributor before I start spraying on never had any problem buddy hopefully just might be some help for you

#13 ·
That sounds like a good bet, that the water being sprayed took out the starter wire repair.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the first thing they looked at at the shop you had it towed to.
Still -- it's a good idea to be cautious with that degreaser. It's usually some fairly caustic stuff.

Bottom line: glad you are up & running & it take an arm & leg!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.