Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here so hope I am in right place:) I recently bought a 1989 dodge dakota 4wd v6 and was happy with its get up and go until I had it tuned up. I only had the plugs, dis. cap, fuel filter and plug wires changed out as a precaution. No noticeable issues at time of tuneup.

After tune up, I noticed it would bog down on a moderately steep hill and even floored would not increase speed. I tried shifting manually down to no avail. I tried turning off the overdrive, but still it goes up hills like a slug. Everywhere else it has plenty of power.

I don't know if I just didnt know abt issue with climbing hills before tuneup or if there is a chance something during tuneup could be the cause.. If so, what would be the most likely thing to check or replace?

I realize it is an old truck with 130,000 miles on it but it does not use oil or overheat and it starts fine and only seems to have a little miss when ideling. Not sure if it is actually a "miss", but it does idle a bit rough.

thanks again and sorry for length of post. teressa

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hi, I am new here so hope I am in right place:) I recently bought a 1989 dodge dakota 4wd v6 and was happy with its get up and go until I had it tuned up. I only had the plugs, dis. cap, fuel filter and plug wires changed out as a precaution. No noticeable issues at time of tuneup.
What did they do during the tuneup?...plugs/cap and wires shouldn't
affect the engine performance on hills, unless they messed around
with the distributor timing. This is setting the spark advance with a
timing light by loosening the distributor clamp and moving it.

After tune up, I noticed it would bog down on a moderately steep hill and even floored would not increase speed. I tried shifting manually down to no avail. I tried turning off the overdrive, but still it goes up hills like a slug. Everywhere else it has plenty of power.
Sounds like the engine timing is retarded for that engine. Older engines
will have some wear on the timing chain between the crankshaft and
camshaft and if the timing is retarded when the engine is working hard,
it will not deliver the power it is supposed to.

I don't know if I just didnt know about issue with climbing hills before tuneup or if there is a chance something during tuneup could be the cause.. If so, what would be the most likely thing to check or replace?
Have the spark timing checked out. If it is where it supposed to be
(so many degrees before top dead center) with a timing light on
the crankshaft timing markers), then more than likely you have a
stretched timing chain with that many miles on it.
Replacing the timing chain is a big job. Have the timing checked and
optimized for the miles on the engine if possible..if not then that would
be the next thing.

I realize it is an old truck with 130,000 miles on it but it does not use oil or overheat and it starts fine and only seems to have a little miss when ideling. Not sure if it is actually a "miss", but it does idle a bit rough.
Did it idle rough before the tuneup? If that was the reason you had
the tuneup done, then perhaps a compression check on each cylinder
to see if they are all in balance would have been warranted.
If the compression is down on one cylinder or two, due to valves not
sealing properly, then it can idle a bit rough as well.

In summary, on an old engine with that many miles:
1. Have a compression check performed on the engine
2. Have the ignition timing checked with a strobe light
3. Maybe it needs a new timing chain?

·
Registered
47 Posts
having 125hp stock BRAND NEW i wouldnt expect to have anymore than 95-100hp now, plus throw in the 4x4 and it aint gonna be no rocket up hills.

·
Registered
830 Posts
having 125hp stock BRAND NEW i wouldnt expect to have anymore than 95-100hp now, plus throw in the 4x4 and it aint gonna be no rocket up hills.
No, these are no Dodge Power Wagons going up hills, but you would expect it to maintain some kind of speed, even if the speed drops off
due to the effects of gravity while the engine is chuffing trying to make
it up the hill.
It may be a case of the ole Mopar getting tired in it's old age and jes like an old mule, no matter how much you "kick them", they just won't go any faster. :D

However, if it was mine, I would at least have the compression and distributor timing checked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to thank everyone for their great information to get me started on the right path. I will follow the suggestions offered here. It seems as if most are in consensus as to what to do next. I appreciate it! teressa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts