Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Dodge Dakota 3.7 quad cab automatic. Currently it does not want to move in reverse and if I put it in neutral it drives forward. Drive works as well as 1st and 2nd. When it's in reverse I don't feel it shift and if I give it gas feels like it's locked up. Anybody ever have this problem ? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Check your transmission fluid level.

I have a leak in my 1988, and if I don't stay on top of it, about 2 quarts low I'll lose reverse at first.

RwP

·
Registered
647 Posts
Does the transmission go into park? From your description of the issue, your shifter cable may be out of adjustment (no movement or engaging in reverse, forward movement in neutral). Check the following YouTube video (different model but same transmission) starting at about 6:00 into the video to see how the linkage should be set up. Note specifically if your cable is locked into the ring shaped cable guide on the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CDAytTHVoU&t=9s

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does go into park. I was told my truck is too new to have linkage and that it was digital. Did the really make sense. I will definitely check on the video fluid is good for most part. I can't put it in neutral to check tho. I remember I was low a while ago and lost my reverse. I added fluid and everything was back to normal. Would this problem be caused from that tho?? Thanks for the help fellas

·
Registered
647 Posts
Your transmission is electronically controlled, but there is still a cable that goes down to the transmission to tell the computer what range the driver has selected. The computer (TCM) determines what servos and clutches to engage based on range selection and engine parameters.
But if the cable was out of adjustment, you wouldn't be able to select Park (along with the other ranges). Hope you get it worked out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update, I removed valve body and seen nothing out of place or broken. So I put it back in put pan back on and filled trans fluid. I also did oil change. I turned truck on and moved the shifter through each gear still feeling the shift of every gear. Still did nothing. If engine is off and key turned I can put it in reverse and neutral to move backward but once I turn engine i still have no reverse and neutral moves forward plus drive goes forward for a few feet then stops as if the brake was applied.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Dakota 3.7 6cyl 4X4 automatic, a couple of months ago, I ran a bunch of errands, as normal, went home and parked. Next morning, when I went to leave, no reverse, My driveway slopes up, so I coasted backward, then shifted into drive. The transmission shifted normally in all positions, just no reverse. There was no slipping beforehand, no indication of any problem. I visited my Dodge dealer and the mechanic told me the reverse solenoid is probably the problem, and they could fix it without rebuilding it by lowering the trans and dropping the pan. They did this, removed the valve body, replaced the reverse solenoid and the neutral switch, cleaned the valve body, put in a new filter and fluid, and it still has no reverse. Now, half of the time, when I put it into Park, the indicator light in the dash does not come on, and it will not start. If I shake the shift lever, eventually, the light comes on and it starts. My question is this: with all these wires and plugs, is it possible that my reverse problem is a bad electrical wire or connection, or possibly in the Power train controller?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts