Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday I was driving down my street and the engine cut out. The dash lights were on. I tried to restart and it turned over fine but made no attempt to start. To note, the gas gage was dead with the ignition on. I tried spraying starter fluid into the carb and didn’t even get a pop. I removed the fuel pump relay and jumpered pins 1 & 4 (I think) and the fuel pump ran. Today I made several attempts to start it. One time I turned the key and the fuel gage registered half full and I suspected it would start and it did. It ran for about 2 minutes and died. Several attempts since have yielded no results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On Monday I was driving down my street and the engine cut out. The dash lights were on. I tried to restart and it turned over fine but made no attempt to start. To note, the gas gage was dead with the ignition on. I tried spraying starter fluid into the carb and didn’t even get a pop. I removed the fuel pump relay and jumpered pins 1 & 4 (I think) and the fuel pump ran. Today I made several attempts to start it. One time I turned the key and the fuel gage registered half full and I suspected it would start and it did. It ran for about 2 minutes and died. Several attempts since have yielded no results.
After several days of No starts I turned the key and I heard the fuel pump and saw the fuel gage so to 1/2 and I knew it would start. I have started it at least 20 times since without a failure. I have not driven it anywhere but I guess that is my next step.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
855 Posts
Last night I read through some hand written notes I had made over the years from posts on this forum (with mainly thanks to OldMarine and RalphP) and then I got into my '03 FSM (which is why I was interested in the specific year of your Dak).

In a nut shell, the PCM will de-energize the ASD relay AND the fuel pump relay under certain conditions. If the PCM is not receiving a signal from the cam position sensor (cmp) and the crank position sensor (ckp) it will de-energize the ASD relay which would shut battery voltage off at your coil and I believe off at your injectors. (Therefore, even if you cheated your fuel pump relay and/or sprayed starting fluid into the TB you still wouldn't be getting spark or injector puilsing.) I didn't spend a ton of time in my FSM last night, so I only found out in that source that the PCM would, under certain conditions, de-energize the fuel pump relay, but I didn't read that this was related to the signals from the cmp and ckp, however, that is what my handwritten notes that I made are saying.

As far as your fuel gage, I meant to also ask you if that is the only gauge that goes dead on you?

In another nutshell: the FSM is saying that the fuel gage is controlled by the instrument cluster CB based upon messages received from the PCM via the PCI Bus. However, it is worth noting that not all years of Generation 2 feature the PCI bus, and that was another reason that I was interested in your specific year.

Your INTERMITTENT issues all SEEM to have the PCM in common.
Your 0 fuel pump and 0 spark both have relays which are dependent upon the PCM receiving signals from the ckp and cmp.
If this problem rears its ugly head again, you might consider trying to follow your circuitry from the ckp and cmp to the PCM to see if you can find a possible issue with that circuitry.
You could also try disconnecting the negative battery cable first and then unplugging the PCM connectors and plugging them back in a few times.
You could also try throwing some parts at your Dak: specifically, the ckp and cmp.
If all else fails, you could send your PCM out and see if anything can be diagnosed.

Good luck with this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts