Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota with 136k on it an i was wondering If it is to late to switch to synthetic oil?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had wondered about this as well. I had a '95 Ram 1500. Only had 72,000 miles on it in 2007. Never leaked a drop of oil. I used the Quaker State 4X4 synthetic blend. Less than 1 week later I had oil on the driveway. It was the rear main seal leaking. So I have read that synthetic oils don't have the additives that keep gaskets and seals swelled and that causes leaks on a motor that has been running conventional oil through most of its life (due to the wear on the normally swelled gaskets/seals.) Anybody have any real ideas why this happened? To me it's not worth the risk and mess to switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I heard that was a bad problem with the old synthetic blends but not the new ones when did you change it?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I like high-mileage oil, especially if your engine has a few miles. It has everything a motor needs and a lot of them are synthetic blend. Straight synthetics are great but it can make it by seals and gaskets sometimes, that's just a chance you have to take to use them. It's not really a big deal if you have to replace some gaskets and seals.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It's possible to develop an oil leak after switching at a high mileage, not to say it will though. It's kind of a gamble, but many have done it with no issues. I would think if your truck has been properly maintained, you would definitely fare better.
If it's working fine now, I wouldn't switch it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use valvoline max life, it has a 225,000 mile engine Garuntee as long as you sign up under 75,000 miles, max life is sopposed to help with oil leaks, I wouldn't really know becuase I haven't had any leaks before I switched, but it's advertised as that way and they normally back there stuff up pretty hard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts