Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 months ago I noticed the smell of burning oil so I checked under the hood and saw that I was dripping oil from my valve cover gasket about every 10 seconds, so I changed out my gasket, which was a pain in the ass, after I replaced it I still have the smell of burning oil and i have oil seeping out of the rear of the gasket, it's not dripping like it used to, its alot slower, all my studs are tight, what could be the problem? Possible bad valve cover itself?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Parker, this is not a problem I have ever ran into, but I would surmise that your valve cover might be warped.

But first, did you use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts, & does the FSM give a torque sequence for tightening the bolts & if so did you follow it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
yes . If the valve cover bolt holes are "puckered" inward from previous over tightening, then indeed this could be causing your leak.

·
Registered
408 Posts
There a couple of things I like to check whenever I have to remove a valve cover to replace a gasket. While you have the valve cover off, check the return galley in the head to make sure they aren't clogged or slowing down oil drain. A clogged galley can allow oil to back up in the rocker gallery and cause leaking gaskets and other problems. If you see that they are clogged, rod them out, and then do an oil change. Next check the mating surface of the covers and the head. They should be clean and flat. If the cover is bent, especially around the holes, you will never get a good seal. You'll either need to replace the covers or fix it with a body hammer

Next, I am not aware of a torque value being assigned to valve cover bolts. Regardless, the bolts should be tight, but not so tight as to deform the sheet metal cover. You should also tighten them starting from the two center-most bolts and then work outwards. This will reduce the valve covers from warping as you tighten them.

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts