Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new here but I am in hopes someone may be able to help me out.

At the beginning of the year I picked up a 2004 Dakota 4.7 2wd for $1500. Thought I Was getting a great deal. Was a southern truck with no rust and to my knowledge at that point all it needed was a heater core. That was wrong on all counts. Turns out the previous owner neglected my poor truck quite a bit. So far i have replaced the rear end. Had to replace the solenoid pack in the transmission, brakes were metel on metel, had an exhaust leak and leaky valve covers. I have done more but it would take too long to list it all.

On to my current problem. Lately after the truck is warmed up when I am at a stop the oil pressure drops way down and my check gauges lite comes on. The oil isn't low or over full. So I am in hopes that it's either the sensor or the pickup screen is clogged. I plan to replace the sensor and clean the oil pan/pickup tube. Luckily I have rwd so I don't have to deal with removing the front axle etc. However from my reading when removing the oil pan you need to lift the engine. This is where I have issues. I don't own a hoist as I have never gotten into anything as complicated as an engine swap. Does anyone know of a way to lift the engine a few inches without a hoist so I can remove the oil pan?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This should work. It's $80 at Harbor Freight, but I've used one to support the engine while swapping a transmission on a front wheel drive car, and it worked great.

Transverse engine support
Thanks for the advice! I think I may try just replacing the sensor and doing an oil change first. From what I have read our trucks don't like Fram filters and a few people have had this issue due to them. Of course that has to be the filter I am using lol. If that fixes the problem awesome. If not I will probably go to my local harbor freight and pick one of those up.

·
Registered
2003 RT with 5.9
271 Posts
I suspect your bearings are worn. Nothing is going to help except changing rod and main bearings, and cam bearings are a big contributor too.
Prtobably. But it could be that when it gets hot the clearances in the oil pump are increasing & the oil pressure is dropping. Maybe OP will keep us posted on his findings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Prtobably. But it could be that when it gets hot the clearances in the oil pump are increasing & the oil pressure is dropping. Maybe OP will keep us posted on his findings.
I will indeed keep you posted :).

Tonight I did a full oil change with a genuine Mopar filter and changed out the sensor/switch. When I took the old sensor off the inside of the electrical connections were all soaked with oil. I am assuming something busted inside it. I cleaned up the connector installed the new sensor and filled it back up with oil. Took it for a drive for a while and let it idle when I got home. During that test and driveway idle, all was good. The Guage on the dash stayed right in the center as it always did before. However tomorrow morning will be the real test when I bring my oldest to school in the stop and go traffic.

Thank you all for the suggestions etc. I will keep you posted if anything changes (fingers crossed). I plan to stick around here for a while as I love this truck and want to treat it well. There seems to be a wealth of information here and I always love to learn new things about my passions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So this morning I drove it for about 45-60 minutes. Dropped my oldest off at their bus stop, went to dunkins drive thru, let it idle a bit in the Walmart parking lot and everything seems to be running well no drop in pressure at all. I am so glad it seems to be working well. I was not looking forward to dropping the pan or replacing the pump/bearings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts