Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Dakota std cab short bed
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in Minnesota and have been into Mopars since the early 80s. I have a bunch of Mopars, some projects, some ready to go. I listed them in my profile. I am starting a project on a 94 Dakota that I bought disassembled. It was a 3.9/5 speed. I want to swap In a 2000 5.2 from a Ram. I decided to join this forum to hear of other people’s Dakota experiences and share my own. And maybe get some tips on my project as I go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcomes. I will also check that other site. I expect to need some information beyond what I already know...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am in Minnesota and have been into Mopars since the early 80s. I have a bunch of Mopars, some projects, some ready to go. I listed them in my profile. I am starting a project on a 94 Dakota that I bought disassembled. It was a 3.9/5 speed. I want to swap In a 2000 5.2 from a Ram. I decided to join this forum to hear of other people’s Dakota experiences and share my own. And maybe get some tips on my project as I go.
You're gonna have to match quite a few things for the ram's pcm to work in the Dakota. Things like tranny, rear end ratio, etc. You're better off trying to find a 5.2 Dakota to swap with.
It's unfortunate it's not like the old days when you could just put in a 427 in a 67 mustang that had a 390 in it.
Biggest gimmick in the world to have had to put computers in cars imo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're gonna have to match quite a few things for the ram's pcm to work in the Dakota. Things like tranny, rear end ratio, etc. You're better off trying to find a 5.2 Dakota to swap with.
It's unfortunate it's not like the old days when you could just put in a 427 in a 67 mustang that had a 390 in it.
Biggest gimmick in the world to have had to put computers in cars imo.
But that would be a Ford...

Anyway, I think I will probably not use the Ram pcm. I ordered a new Edelbrock RPM Air Gap for a Magnum. I will probably run aftermarket EFI, likely as not Holley Sniper. Run a regular distributor for now, with a carb just to get the truck worked out. After it all seems to work, I can add EFI. And Sniper makes using the Holley digital dash a plug and play thing. It will end up as a fair weather daily driver/sport truck. The aftermarket EFI will also make later performance improvements easier to manage too.

But I have to do a P Pump upgrade on my 2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab H.O. Turbo diesel 6 speed first. The VP44 is driving me crazy making the truck unreliable. I need it to be trustworthy again...

But I will continue to research and purchase stuff for the Dakota.

·
Registered
88 Posts
But that would be a Ford...

Anyway, I think I will probably not use the Ram pcm. I ordered a new Edelbrock RPM Air Gap for a Magnum. I will probably run aftermarket EFI, likely as not Holley Sniper. Run a regular distributor for now, with a carb just to get the truck worked out. After it all seems to work, I can add EFI. And Sniper makes using the Holley digital dash a plug and play thing. It will end up as a fair weather daily driver/sport truck. The aftermarket EFI will also make later performance improvements easier to manage too.

But I have to do a P Pump upgrade on my 2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab H.O. Turbo diesel 6 speed first. The VP44 is driving me crazy making the truck unreliable. I need it to be trustworthy again...

But I will continue to research and purchase stuff for the Dakota.
Running a carb will save a lot of electrical headaches. These go well with a 600-650 cfm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Running a carb will save a lot of electrical headaches. These go well with a 600-650 cfm.
I have a few small 600+ cfm Holleys I can use at first. I would like to end up with EFI, but I have too many projects and can't do everything at once.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts