Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know if I can install the compass option overhead if the truck did not have it originally? What is required. I have the same year part as my truck available. Also, how about the dimming mirror? Andy advice is Great!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
You'll have to check the wiring in the area the existing reading lamp installation. If the truck is wired for the overhead console, you should find a 12-pin connector up there with 7 wires (give or take) in the connector. If it's wired for the automatic day/night mirror, there will be a 7-pin connector with three wires (violet/black, dark blue/white, and black)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking that All that I seen there was for a light only. At least I do not recall anything large enough to hold 12 pins. Wonder if I could add a harness or if the BCM and wiring harness would need to be all new.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If the connector is not there, I don't know if you can find a harness just for the overhead console. From the wiring diagram, it has three wires that go to the junction block (back side of the fuse panel at the left end of the dash), two wires to the CTM (BCM), one wire to the diagnostic port (where you connect the scanner), and one ground wire. It doesn't look like any of the wiring is dedicated for the overhead console, just connected in to other circuits (instrument lights, courtesy lights, fused ignition, etc.) I'll attach the wiring diagram from the FSM if you want to try to wire it yourself.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts