Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all: New to this forum but the proud owner of a 2003 dakota sport plus 4.7. Bought new and now have 75.000 mi and have run into my first problem. It overheated with steam and antifreeze pouring out of the radiator cap. The unusuale thing was that the temp gauge was normal. Top radiator hose was of course very hot but the lower hose was cold. stopped at a local repair shop and had them look at it and they thought it could be a leaking head gasket. So I bought a kit to check, which measure vapors from the radiator to see if the head gasket is leaking. The test proved negative so now I am going to change and check the thermastat, after that I guess check the water pump. I wish I had joined this forum sooner but I never had a problem with my dakota.. Pa Vince

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hello all: New to this forum but the proud owner of a 2003 dakota sport plus 4.7. Bought new and now have 75.000 mi and have run into my first problem. It overheated with steam and antifreeze pouring out of the radiator cap. The unusuale thing was that the temp gauge was normal. Top radiator hose was of course very hot but the lower hose was cold. stopped at a local repair shop and had them look at it and they thought it could be a leaking head gasket. So I bought a kit to check, which measure vapors from the radiator to see if the head gasket is leaking. The test proved negative so now I am going to change and check the thermastat, after that I guess check the water pump. I wish I had joined this forum sooner but I never had a problem with my dakota.. Pa Vince

Ya know, you don't have to have a problem to join us, but we're glad you are here (not that you've got a problem though). Sounds like you've got a good plan of attack though. I'd be looking to eliminate the lesser things first, like you are doing. Good Luck and let us know how it is going and/or if you need some assistance. Also, feel free to join in anywhere and post up some pictures of that truck, when you get a chance. ;)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome! sorry to hear about your problem though, hope you get it taken care of, keep us posted!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts