Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member and need some advice. I've got an 04 dakota 4.7 with the wonderful p0016 code present, runs great....below 2500 rpm. Just got the truck yesterday so what I know about it so far is the guy replaced the timing chains, tensioners and guides. I've replaced the cam and crank sensors. Knowing that the chains have been disturbed I would guess that he got one cam off by a tooth but it runs very smooth. I've read about the CASE relearn but I don't understand why it would need it if everything was assembled correctly. Would the truck still run smooth if it was off by one tooth? Since the 4.7 is an interference engine, if a relearn was done and it still is off by one tooth, would a valve/piston collision happen? And lastly, anybody in Spartanburg SC area happen to have the tool to do it? Thanks in advance y'all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm guessing this forum is dead so I'm posting for future others that happen to have the same issue. This only applies if you only have code P0016 and no other codes present. I got into a tear down on the engine today, valve covers and timing cover removed. Sure enough the passenger side cam is rotated counterclockwise by what appears to be two teeth. Driver side cam appears to be 12 o clock but I ran out of daylight. If the weather holds up I'll hopefully have it all put back together tomorrow. To be continued.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update, finally got it all back together but while I had it apart there's a few things that should be replaced since its already torn down. Lifters, can't stress this one enough. While the truck sounded nice, quiet and smooth, I decided to check them out anyway since I had the valve covers off. 14 out of 16 lifters were weak, sagging approximately 3mm from the new lifters. Since the engine is notorious for kicking out rocker arms, it's best to change these out, even if they are not currently ticking, change them anyway. Spark plugs, I'm surprised this truck was running at all. Gap specs are 0.040, best one was worn 0.085, worst at 0.095, change them, they're cheap. Valve cover gaskets, I went with the felpro set, they fit horribly compared to the factory set I had to fight to get off. Save yourself the time and trouble, order the Mopar set with grommets. All said and done, truck runs like melted butter. Hope this helps somebody out in the future!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts